Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blizzard stops chance to shoot this.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:05 AM
mountaineer magic

Default Blizzard stops chance to shoot this.

Well before I had a chance to shoot my Long range muzzleloader the blizzard came in and buried us with some 5 to 8 foot drifts. I hope to get dug out this week and do some shooting. At least I'm back on line and the power is on. here's a picture of the gun for shooting they conicals I posted earlier. The photo isn't the greatest.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:07 AM
mountaineer magic

Default RE: Blizzard stops chance to shoot this.

and one more

Old 03-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Dominant Buck

That is a beautiful rifle... perhaps you could describe the model,barrel twist, caliber, etc about the rifle and what you expect it will do for you as fast as loads and accuracy. That is nice.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:31 AM
mountaineer magic

The rifle is a Pedersoli Gibbs 45 cal with a 1:18 twist. I have some grease groove and paper patch bullets. 538 gr sized to .448 to shoot out of it. my goal is to eventually work my way up to having it sighted in at a 200 yard zero. i plan on starting with a 100 yard sight in using 70 gr 2f and then 100 gr 2f probably pyrodex select and triple seven to start with. It is heavier than i thought. i knew the weight was 12 pounds but 12 pounds seems a lot more when holding it than it does just thinking about it being 12 pounds. If you know what I mean. It also is fairly long. ,about 53 inches. I will attach a photo showing relative size holding it. Should be fun though, if I ever get a chance to get out with it.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chet, that rifle should reach out there and touch something. Nice looking rifle - but it would kill me to carry it very far.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Dominant Buck

That really is a sharp rifle. 12 pounds... Those are the kind of rifles I use for field hunting ... where I have a blind, a soft place to sit, and a rifle rest.

Although when I was young I used to hunt with an old shotgun of my fathersthat I swear weighed twenty pounds. After a day of walking bluffs grouse hunting with that thing, I was just plaintuckered out. I must have been crazy.

Just out of curiosity, I weighed a few of my rifle that are scoped and un scoped... Believe it or not, my White Ultra Mag with a 2-7x32mm Nikon Scope comes in at or just under.. 10 pounds. The White Model 97 .451 with a Bushnell 3200 on it, comes in at 9 pounds. Then I remembered by Renegade with a stainless steel green mountain barrel and a scope. That hit 10 pounds.

So while the Gibbs is 12 pounds, and believe me after a long day of walking that 2 pounds can mean a lot, many of us are walking around with some heavy rifles out there. My Knight Disc which I always considered real heavy hit 8 pounds is all.

AlsoI went back and weighed that shotgun from my youth (of course I still have it) and it came in at 8 pounds. It is a Browning Auto 5 Light 12 semi automatic Belgium Browning shotgun. I'd hate to guess how many miles I carried that thing.

I used my turkey scale, so its not real accurate but it will come in close.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a beauty Chetmarks. I know you're going to have some fun playing around with it. I can't wait for your range reports.

but 12 pounds seems a lot more when holding it than it does just thinking about it
Kinda like marriage - it turns out to be heavier than you thought.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:04 PM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: cayugad

That really is a sharp rifle. 12 pounds... Those are the kind of rifles I use for field hunting ... where I have a blind, a soft place to sit, and a rifle rest.

Although when I was young I used to hunt with an old shotgun of my fathersthat I swear weighed twenty pounds. After a day of walking bluffs grouse hunting with that thing, I was just plaintuckered out. I must have been crazy.

Just out of curiosity, I weighed a few of my rifle that are scoped and un scoped... Believe it or not, my White Ultra Mag with a 2-7x32mm Nikon Scope comes in at or just under.. 10 pounds. The White Model 97 .451 with a Bushnell 3200 on it, comes in at 9 pounds. Then I remembered by Renegade with a stainless steel green mountain barrel and a scope. That hit 10 pounds.

So while the Gibbs is 12 pounds, and believe me after a long day of walking that 2 pounds can mean a lot, many of us are walking around with some heavy rifles out there. My Knight Disc which I always considered real heavy hit 8 pounds is all.

AlsoI went back and weighed that shotgun from my youth (of course I still have it) and it came in at 8 pounds. It is a Browning Auto 5 Light 12 semi automatic Belgium Browning shotgun. I'd hate to guess how many miles I carried that thing.

I used my turkey scale, so its not real accurate but it will come in close.
I know what you mean. I don't notice the Triumph when I hunt but I can sure tell the difference when i hunt with my Great Plains Rifle and it is only 9 1/2 pounds.. A couple of pounds makes a difference after a few hours. They make even a bigger difference the last couple of years. my mind says I'm still young and going strong but my body says otherwise.This rifle will probably be used mostly for leaning on the hood of the truck in the pasture and shooting at targets. I do want to take it hunting at least a couple of times though, so my preferable method of "still hunting" may become "sitting still and hunting". I don't think I could shoot it very well without at least some sticks. I"ll stay with my Triumph or GPR for off hand shooting. Soon as I can I will post some results.

SEMI: I guess I'm one of the truly blessed individuals when it comes to marriage.The Lord truly gave me a wonderful wife. Imported all the way from Germany. I couldn't find an American woman that would put up with me. Although I better not get another muzzle loader for a very very very long time or even my great marriage could suffer a serious set back.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cayugad

That is a beautiful rifle... perhaps you could describe the model,barrel twist, caliber, etc about the rifle and what you expect it will do for you as fast as loads and accuracy. That is nice.
cayugad, I am with out words that you didn't recognize such a fine piece just buy sight, here is a link to Davide Pedisoli's web site: http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/ They are some of the finest crafted fire arms in the world.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Chet, that rifle should reach out there and touch something. Nice looking rifle - but it would kill me to carry it very far.
Taking the oxygen tubes out of your nose alone would kill you 'ol man

Quick Reply: Blizzard stops chance to shoot this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.