Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis Range Report

Old 03-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Spike

Default Remington Genesis Range Report

I did go out to the range about 10 days ago when the wind wasn`t blowing-which isn`t often here in central
Illinois. I started out shooting the .430 300 grain xtp with 90 grains of 209 and the crushed rib green harvester sabot. The accuracy really was not that good so I increased the powder charge to 100 grains and tried again but again the accuracy really was not there. I then increased powder charge to 110 grains with same bullet and sabot and again the accuracy was not good. I then decided to try some .452 xtp`s with the
black supposebly ez load sabot. I shot the first shot and it was a little low but I chose to try a couple more shots to see if this load woud group. The second shot was up a little and a little to the left-the third shot was touching the first shot at the 4 o`clock position-the the fourth shot was touching the second shot at the 4 o`clock position and the fifth shot made a clover leaf with shots 1 and 3. After shooting these 5 shots I decided to try the .430 bullet again with the regular ez load sabot and again that was fruitless-no accuracy.I then loaded up the .452 load again and shot it at the 5 shot group and it was just a little low.
I am pretty safe to say that this load probably shoots better than I am capable of. The only concern I have is the bullet-sabot combo is a little snug going down the barrel.
Hopefully the target picture shows up in ths post-first time posting pics.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Remington Genesis Range Report

Looks like you don't have to worry about finding a hunting load Ezbaqr. You have arrived! Good shooting.

I'm glad you tried the .430/EZ Load combination a second time. As I was reading your report I was wondering if the fouling from the first few shots with the .430s contributed to the accuracy of the 452s. But the second try with the 430s answered that question. I suspect it's the tight fit of the 452s that is making the difference.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Dominant Buck

All rifles are different I guess. My Genesis likes the .44 caliber 300 grain XTP in a crushed rib sabot. I am not shooting BlackHorn 209 as I ran out. I usually shoot Pyrodex.

Another thing the rifle likes are the 200 grains and 250 grain shockwaves. Again, Pyrodex RS 100 grains and excellent accuracy.

What distance were you shooting at? That is some pretty good shooting there. Also what kind of scope did you put on that rifle?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ezbagr

Nice shooting....

I have never had real consistent luck shooting 44 cals in a 50. But I have to admit I have not tried very hard either for several years. The .452's have always been more consistent, but there are a ton of people shooting 44's very well.

Another reason i kind migrated to the 45 cals is there are so many more different sabot options available to really get the correct fit.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Good shooting... and thanks for the report and pics.

BH209 sure has changed my search for accuracywith respect to bullet/sabot fit. Easy loading sabots for my bullet of choice worked fairly well with 777. Now, I'm looking for the tightest loading sabot.

Keep posting your findings.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Spike

Cayugad, that is at 100 yds as written on the target in upper left corner.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Spike

Cayugad-I put a Nikon prostaff 3x9x50 on it.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's some good shooting
Old 03-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Dominant Buck

missed that yardage indication.. that's a nice scope there. I bet that really is nice and clear. When I shot BlackHorn 209I used the Winchester W209 primers. It worked perfect in my Genesis.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting! That load should be deadly for anything you'd want to hunt out to at least 175 yards.

Quick Reply: Remington Genesis Range Report

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.