Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BETTER day at the range....still need help though

Old 03-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BETTER day at the range....still need help though

If you are serious about long range try your 250 SW with a Short Black harvester sabot and 120 gr of Blackhorn.
Black horn and Triumph's were made for each other most of the guys that have tried this combination agree that it is the most accurate in a Triumph. Lee
Old 03-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

CHASAM60---That is EXACTLY what I was/am trying to do!! Find a happy medium for 100 yards/200yards knowing that its in the kill zone. Just finding the bullet/sabot/powder combo is the key.

Sabotloader---my hornadys are 44 cal 240gr

Semisane---not being cocky, I'm very confident in my shooting abilities. I actually did NOT shoot "groups" as I was mainly concerned about getting the ML sited in at 100 and then seeing what she did at 200. I was concerned about having another bad scope and being within the return policy of Natchez. With that said, I made some adjustments with the hornadys getting them on the paper at 200 yrds. I was seeing what the ML did at 100 after I got close at 200. It was SO off that I went back to 2'" high at 100 yards dead center.----which would NOT hit paper at 200 yards. Everytime I made adjustments the scope responded as it should. I know i should shoot groups, but I am mainly trying to find what a bullet does with a powder load-----trying to see what she likes to shoot. ONCE that is determined, you'd better believe I'll be shooting groups until I get "clovers" where all 3 shots are touching each other. I DID clean the ML EVERY single time. Sucks because it is SO time consuming. I ran a wet patch down, turned it over and ran it down again. Then I'd run a dry patch down, turn it over and run it down again. Reload, fire... adjust as needed...repeat.

SWThomas---yes, I know I probably need to play with loose. However, I have seen 30gr pellets...so you could play araound with the 50s and 30s to get different loads: 50-50-30=130........30-30-50=110....30-30-30-30=120....etc etc. I just like pellets as its fast and easy. Once I find what my guns likes, I was wanting to fine tune on loose.

----DrAsus
Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I understand DrAsus. I seek the golden"clover leaf" but, believe me, I seldom see it. With a scoped in-line I'm quite happy with two-inch groups at 100 yards. The reason I posed the question is that with the load you were shooting,if you were getting something like 2" three-shot groups two inches high at 100 yards you would almost have to be on a 12 x 12 target at 200, even if it was a 6" group on the bottom half of the target. So I was wondering if you had truely arrived at an accurate 100 yard load.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane: if you were getting something like 2" three-shot groups two inches high at 100 yards you would almost have to be on a 12 x 12 target at 200, even if it was a 6" group on the bottom half of the target.
Hey DrAsus, boy was I wrong on that one. I was reading this thread again and got to thinking what the velocity of that 240 grain XTP with 100 grains of T7 should be, and I figured that 1800 fps may be realistic. So I plugged that into a ballistic calculator and played with it until I got a +2" zero at 100 yards. Here's what the results look like - over 12" low at 200 yards. Yep, you're gonna` need a bigger target.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chasam60

Dr-My Omega with a 250 or 260 gr Nosler over 105gr 777/3f prints 6" lower at 175yds than at 100yds. I set up for 100yds 3" high and when I was comfortable,I moved out to check impact. 3" high at 100=3" low at 175 Aim dead on anywhere out to 175.(Max PBR)

Charlie
+1, this is called the "3 over method" and it is an excellent method for any hunting rifle for deer. The biology of a deer is the boiler room is 9", and your shooting thru a 6" pipe fom 0 to 175 yards, this give you 3" error for sighting, any bullet in the 9" boiler room equals dead deer and easy tracking. The pointy bullet, with high ballistic coefficient, only gives you an extra 25 yards. The BDC scope with a 250 Barnes TMZ with 150g of 777 pellets or 125g of loose 777 powder or 120g of BH will get youto 250. I think you have to do < 2" at 100 first, then move out to 175, which the 3" over method will do for you, then yousee whereyour first circle hits and where your 2nd circle hits.
Chap
Old 03-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first thing is you never said what the wind was doing so no program will ever tell ya what you should have done.Second if your serious about this gun just shooting for the long haul,then that is what you should practice with.It does no good to practice with something you are not going to use.Then when you use it, you have no practice at doing it.You talked about money and so forth,so you are not made of money and trying to keep cost down.So i would shoot what i was going to use for hunting and figure that out.All this is just MO i'm not trying to argue with nobody.I just think you should not waste your time practicing on something you are not going to use,and then when you try it you have to start all over again.Unless you just like shooting which it sounds like you just need to work a load for hunting.

And in my opinion you should have bought a BDC scope if you were going to shoot this far would have made life easier.But again just MO.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

DrAsus

This is the ballistic sheet for my Omega with a 110 grains T7-2f - 25 acp ignition...

200 yards is a long ways for a 260. if that is the goal the 300 Nosler might serve you better especially in the enery department... This is with 120 T7-2f..

Old 03-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Semisane---can you run your calculator again and just see what 150 gr 777 would do...if anything with that 240 Hornady XTP.
second------Would a 150 yard zero be more accurate???

Hunting junkie----forgot to mention wind. I don't have a measuring instrument but I'd say it was about 5mph. I AM trying to find MY hunting load. If I can get the Hornady 240gr XTP to work for me ---that will be what I use. I would just like to "play around" with loose powder later to see if I could get it any more accurate.

Chap----I have the Nikoplex reticle and not the BDC. I wanted the BDC but let it go for the Nikoplex (regular crosshairs) due to the $100 savings I found from Natchez.

Maybe the "3 over method" is what I'm looking for. I'm trying to find what the arc of the bullet is---meaning whatever distance I can sight it in at at short range will equal my longer distance. I have read where some sight in their centerfire rifles at 50 yards and then they are dead on at 300.....as an example. I'm trying toduplicate that with the ML. I just don't know what range to do. I hope i'm making sense.---DrAsus
Old 03-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane---can you run your calculator again and just see what 150 gr 777 would do...if anything with that 240 Hornady XTP.
I can do that but I need a muzzle velocity for that load. Does anyone have a mvestimate for 150 grains T7 and a 240 XTP out of a Triumph?

second------Would a 150 yard zero be more accurate???
It would have no effect on accuracy, but would change the point of impact at 100 and 200 yards. I plugged a 150 yard zero into the calculator with the100 grain/1800 fps load and itsays you would be 3.59" high at 100 yards and 9.13" low at 200 yards.

The ballistic calculator I use is on-line.It'sfree and easy to use. You can change the parameters at will. Check it out at http://www.handloads.com/calc/
Old 03-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Grouse45

Save yourself some time and money and quit buying Pyrodex and 777. BH209 will be your best option for what you want to accomplish.
Exactly my thoughts also. And get either Remington STS or Federal 209A primers.

Quick Reply: BETTER day at the range....still need help though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.