Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lehigh Listened....

Old 03-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Lehigh Listened....

Got a couple of new Lehigh's from Grouse today. Thought you guys might be interested.

They are now going to insert a 'Hard' ballistic tip in their bullet as requested by a lot of people.

I am certainly not a ballistic expert, but look at the length of the 10mil/200 grain as compared to the SW - should not length enhance the the BC along with the changed areodynamics of the bullet. Even the .452/250 will be longer than the SST - and excuse my attempt to place a BT in the 250 but I wanted to see what it might look like...

Next question... you can see in the picture that Dave has changed the base on the 250 to a flat base (by request) from the boattail base that it originally came with. Question is that really better or not? I think Sierra has made a living selling their boattails as a better flying bullet so is the BTail better or not? At 100 even a 150 yards the difference between a flat base and a boattail might not even be measured but for you long range guys what is best?

Another change i asked Dave about was removing the grooves on the 458/300 grain and put two rows of knurling around the body. He plans to implement that change also, which will reduce the total length of the bullet to under and 1" to meet that rule that some states have.

Now I just got to find time to go shoot the torture test.... but at this point I am believing that this fall a whitetail in Idaho will be introduced to the 10mil/200 grain bullet - hopefully a buck...
Old 03-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lehigh Listened....

How easily did those tips slide in? I'm not sure I would trust tips that had to be installed in the bullet by the consumer.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not sure I would trust tips that had to be installed in the bullet by the consumer.
Wouldn't bother me at all. Reduces production cost. I can stick them in as well as the producer can.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane
Wouldn't bother me at all. Reduces production cost. I can stick them in as well as the producer can.
I suggested that today. I think that would be the best way. The ballistic tips are not for sale yet. I want to test them in three different bullets to make sure everything is okay. As far as accuracy right now.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

SWThomas

How easily did those tips slide in? I'm not sure I would trust tips that had to be installed in the bullet by the consumer.
Not very easily at all... they started in but I did have to use a compression tool to seat them completely and now I can not getthem out with out destroying the tip.

I am really am thinking it might be a nice option to have - Choose which option you might want to shoot + as Semi says - it might reduce costs somewhat.

The new 200 and 250's with BT are not available yet but hopefully wil be soon.

Just out of curiosity and mostly because I forgot I had it... but any way I have a Barnes Ballistic program that has a very general BC calculator in it. So I ran the numlers...

According to the Barnes calculator... which is a rough estimate...

A 40 cal. 200 grain flat Nose/Round Nose bullet will have a BC close .169 and I think that is really close...

but

A 40 cal 200 grain flatbased spitzer has a BC of .339 - now I know that is to high but that sure moves it up in a hurry to some value.

My other option is a slender boattail spitzer which it isn't but the BC would be .389 then...

Again I know that these are high and only true ballistic calculations will be correct but it really does show promise....
Old 03-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

For us under 200 yard shooters BCdoesn't mean much. If they are cheaper without the tip I would buy them naked.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

I know there is a rule but I am not going to ask...

For us under 200 yard shooters BC doesn't mean much. If they are cheaper without the tip I would buy them naked
I agree - I think the HP's will provide a great disturbance to than animal that they are shot into... IF the bullet works on animals - gotta get time to test - gotta get time....
Old 03-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 200gr SW is a fine long range bullet, I can only imagine that, if it expands on game, this 200gr with ballistic tip would be an improvement. I've been saying for years that I thought the 200SW was the best LR bullet not because it was the pinnacle of development, but because it was the best available. If Precision Rifle ever gave in and started turnout out identical bullets to their current Dead Center design but with copper jackets....

Now if this brass expands, it might be the next best thing. Now plenty of people would claim a bullet that long won't stabilize but I think it will.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Rich and Sandy Mellon (Outdoor Quest TV) Have made some amazing shots at very long ranges using 200 SST bullets and 3 pyro pellets. Rich used to post on one of the forums and linked to some of his videos. Sandi dropped a buck at a measured 308 yds.

Charlie
Old 03-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chasam60

Rich and Sandy Mellon (Outdoor Quest TV) Have made some amazing shots at very long ranges using 200 SST bullets and 3 pyro pellets. Rich used to post on one of the forums and linked to some of his videos. Sandi dropped a buck at a measured 308 yds.

Charlie
That's very true. They where also getting velocities in Canada i could not come close to here in PA with equal loads. BH209 made it very easy now. Ecspecially with heavier bullets.