Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I cant believe i did this.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I cant believe i did this.

I poured Hot water down my barrel this evening. I just had a horrible day at the range today with my 45cal Knight Disc Elite. I assume i had or have plastic build up in the rifling. A forum member told me hot water is the fastest way to get rid of it. So i boiled water and flushed the barrel really well and ran alot of dry patches to. I also swabbed the barrel with alchohol patches to try and get rid of the water.

I hope that is my problem. I couldnt get anything to shoot good at all. XTP'S, SST'S, and Lehigh were all bad today. I hope i dont have a scope issue but i could i guess. I guess i will be shooting more this week. I need to get this gun ready for the hog hunt in a couple weeks. A good scrubbing and hopefully things will be back to normal. Reminds me of a Savage [/align]
Old 03-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I cant believe i did this.

I had a bad day myself shot out a ramrod on a gun i just got.Always wondered how some o9ne could do this.Gonna take pics and post tomorrow part of the rod is still stuck in the target.Then went and got my old gun with the wooden ramrod got it stuck with a patch,tried to pull it out andgot it to the top, and the rod broke.That's when i stopped, i was wanting to shoot more but, no way i was gonna take a chance on another gun.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Grouse-I had the same problem with my Rem 700ML. Hoppe's Benchmark copper & plastic solvent did the trick for me. It was a BEAR to get clean. i had always cleaned with hot water and soap,and all the time the build up was getting worse,so I do not forsee good results for you using hot water. If you use a brass bore brush with the Hoppe's it will make all your patches very black. This is the solvent attacking the copper in the brass.Just keep cleaning,it will take a while.

Charlie
Old 03-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

had an bad day yesterday, I also like hunting junkie, had an ramrod stuck on patch in the barrel.

weekend of bad thing.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: corey012778

had an bad day yesterday, I also like hunting junkie, had an ramrod stuck on patch in the barrel.

weekend of bad thing.

I should not have said what i said to you about your post corey.It came back to haunt me.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

lets just blame it on my hawken's, I waited to long to shot it lol
Old 03-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Grouse45

In the old days of the older plastic sabots I have tried cleaning with about every solvent & brush there is... but I am impatient at heart and it just took to long.

Chasam is right hot water will not move the plastic fouling very much at all, but boiling water is a different story... If you allowed the boiling water to build up in the barrel - the heat transfer from the water expands the metal opens the pores and soften the plastic residue - especially that stuff caught in and behind the lands. Just the expansion of the metal will cause the plastic to release. Then a few strokes with a bore brush and the stuff will be clinging to the brush and laying at the bottom of the bore. Take 5/10 minutes and your done.

Bet it will make all the difference in the world in your groups the next time you shoot.

Just make sure everything is totally dry before you retreat your bore.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

the rod is still stuck in the target.Then went and got my old gun with the wooden ramrod got it stuck with a patch,tried to pull it out andgot it to the top, and the rod broke.
Other than that junkie, how did your day go?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Grouse45

Reminds me of a Savage
[/align]
That is exactly what I though when I started reading this. Been there done that with a Savage.
Did you use a wire brush to do the scrubbing? Chap
Old 03-23-2009, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

That is exactly what I though when I started reading this. Been there done that with a Savage.
Did you use a wire brush to do the scrubbing? Chap
I did some with the Hot water. Tonight when i get home i'll really scrub it down some more with Hoppe's i guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.