Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

**Range Report** I found my new sabot for the Barnes T-EZ

Old 03-23-2009, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: **Range Report** I found my new sabot for the Barnes T-EZ

ORIGINAL: Grouse45

ORIGINAL: SWThomas
Seriously, why did you say I needed to send my rifle back?
Because it's not right. If you cant shoot 5 groups of three with out touching the gun with BH209 something is wrong. You have a $700.00 ML, that's not worth two cents to me. I'm being totally seriouswith you. Omega's, Triumph's, Disc Elite's, Extreme's, SideKicks, Encore's, Pro-Hunters, Savage, which did i miss? All shoot multiple groups with out touching anything very accurately. What you do is absolutely crazy.

If you listen, Chuck can help you. If nothings wrong with the way you have that gun set up. He will show you how to shoot that shot after shot with out touching a thing. And it will shoot in the same spot.

I think you may have read what I posted at the beginning wrong. The weapon will shoot just fine without swabbing between shots. Actually, it's damn accurate. I choose not to because when I hunt I'm not hunting with burnt BH209 residue in the bore. I step off to hunt with a pretty much clean bore with one fouling primer fired. That is the bore condition I am trying to simulate by doing all the cleaning in between each shot. Working up my hunting load. If I'm out shooting just for fun, I don't swab at all. What I was saying about the shot being off a little is that when I fire the first shot of the day the bullet goes in one spot. Then if I fire the second shot without swabbing, the BH209 fouling in the bore tends to send the shot a little bit away from where the first shot went. All subsequent shots will pretty much be right on top of the second shot. It's just the difference between the first shot being fired through a relatively clean bore and the second shot fired through a mildly fouled bore. Pretty much everyone I've seen who posted a range report says the same thing about the first shot being somewhat of a flyer.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

A fowling shot is a must with any Muzzleloader. After the fowling shot, the gun should not need touched till after hunting season or after your range visit. If your guncan dothat great. You mentioned earlier in one of your post's being several inches off with out swabbing between shots. Atleast that's the way i took it.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Grouse45

A fowling shot is a must with any Muzzleloader. After the fowling shot, the gun should not need touched till after hunting season or after your range visit. If your guncan dothat great. You mentioned earlier in one of your post's being several inches off with out swabbing between shots. Atleast that's the way i took it.
Yeah, I meant it would be off compared to the shot fired through a relatively clean bore. I can put pretty much all of my shots through the same hole without swabbing.