Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My new Powerbelt Tip insert

Old 03-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Banned

Default RE: My new Powerbelt Tip insert

if it were elk i'd be using the 348-405. and those penetrate darn near my entire sand box in factory form I planned on testing the 348s today but after unloading hay, cutting 2 horses out of a fence and then trying (we succeeded!!) to catch a llama thats wild, Im friggin tired!

Also have some 300gr .45cal platinums to test out!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

Did you try to use a .177 pellet as the aerotip? I saw somewhere on here long ago as a possible option to fit in the crown. Those bullets open nicely. I've never shot them as I have my pet rounds.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not surprised with your results plugging the hollow point. I spoke to one of the technical guys at powerbelt a couple of years ago afterI had a PB blow through a deer without expanding using a magnum charge. He said the best performing design would be aflat nose bullet shaped like thecurrent PB but without the hollow point. He also said that when people look at a bullet to buy, in the store, they like to see the hollow point and the flat nose bullet would not sell. So you can see with Powerbelt, Sales andMarketing is #1. I don't use them anymore nor doI use magnum charges. Below is a Barnes TEZ bullet I recovered from a deer I shot this year.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LKNCHOPPERS

Picture perfect, how did you recover it, shoot the length of the deer? Chap
Old 03-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

LKNCHOPPERS

That's a beauty!
Old 03-22-2009, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The bullet went through the torso of the deer and stuck in the upper leg after exiting. Massive blood trail a blind man could follow. Shoot any load you want and they expand and don't fragment. I have even shot them into a tree and they still did not fragment.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

i would like to see threads inside a powerbelt so at the end of day,i could remove the powerbelt but i dont know if you could reuse the plastic skirt.

in a FLINTLOCK,LOW CHARGES I HAVE NOT FOUND A BETTER BULLET FOR HUNTING A BUCK.

NO RECOIL, NO FLINCHING,LOW NOISE AND SMOKE,WILL OPEN UP AT LOW CHARGES,EASY TO LOAD.

my favorite was the 370 maxi-ball in .50 cal, no more,its HOLLOW POINT 295/348 POWERBELT WITH 80 GRS OF 2F OR 70 GRS OF 3F.

i would never use a powerbelt in a in-line.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Banned

cant reuse the plastic skirt. Well you can but when i tried it (i accidently melted one and had to find an replacement) and the accuracy of that bullet was say off.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MountainDevil54

cant reuse the plastic skirt. Well you can but when i tried it (i accidently melted one and had to find an replacement) and the accuracy of that bullet was say off.

i had feeling you could not, so its the air co2 thing or just leave it in for a week or 2 during hunting.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Banned

our hunting season is 9 days and they stay loaded until we fire at an animal or our rifles get wet. I'd rather fire it off in wet weather just to be sure. Another thing we do is make sure the drums are filled with powder. I sometimes take just a tiny bit of 4f goex and put it into my dads and brothers drums just to be sure. All of the bouncing around on the atv's can sometimes mess with the powder in the drum. My dads cabelas hawken has been the worse rifle yet as hes missed 2 deer in a row because his drum was empty. I hate that rifle of his.

Quick Reply: My new Powerbelt Tip insert

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.