Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My new Powerbelt Tip insert

Old 03-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My new Powerbelt Tip insert

Snazzy, Dont you think?
Sho`Nuff! Looks like some of the jury-rigged jack-legged contraptions I've played with. Do people look at you funny too?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Banned

i'll have you know that this mold is a piece of art work!

Its fine until i can find better materials to build a sturdy mold. Was going to melt lead tomorrow but..... Its snowing [:@]
Old 03-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

Be careful with that zinc. It is nasty stuff.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm wondering if some other common compound, such as plaster, beeswax, epoxyor who knows what else could be put in that hollowpoint to achieve the same effect.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Banned

ive done a lot of experimenting and this is the best, most efficient way to hold them together. Its a PITA trying to melt solder into the HP - I accidently melted a bullet with the solder gun LOL. JB is an even bigger mess.

Mold is complete! I'll test it in the next day or 2. Right now its time to play on the range.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

I have been using a hot glue gun to fill the hollowpoints. Works for me as long as im punching paper. Not for hunting though.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Banned

Did all of this Yesterday. Mold is working great.

I'll do the 348's in a couple days. Have to get a load of hay in the morning [:'(]
Old 03-19-2009, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Still too pancaked. Long Shank, perfect mushroomed head is the ideal. Fully pancaked bullets are to be avoided, they shed their energy too fast. This bullet didn't loose much weight, which is great, however mushrooming this completly indicates the bullet shed it energy too quickly therefore little penetration. Again the ideal is deep penetration with a bullet that opens quickly and does not pancake. like this:

Chap

Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Banned

i disagree. That pancaked bullet put ALL of its energy into the target (aka Deer in the woods)

13 1/2" penetration into damp sand is nothing to moan about.

That nosler can not be compared to a pure soft lead conical. I have tested other pure lead conicals, maxiballs-maxihunters and even the hornady great plains and they all pancake. Thats what soft lead Hollow Points do. Including the Harvester Sabertooths.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think 13 - 14" of penetration is just fine for deer- as long as you aren't attempting a raking angled shot through the whole body. If you're elk hunting, you'd probably want more penetration than that. Nice report!

Quick Reply: My new Powerbelt Tip insert

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.