Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Disc

Old 03-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Knight Disc

Any muzzleloading rifle I've owned has had some blowback. I don't think the discs either increased it or decreased it. I just clean up the action when I'm done shooting. No big deal to me. I think the discs are easier to handle than the primers themselves especially when hunting with cold fingers. I'm thinking of getting a non full plastic jacket breech plug just for shooting paper.
I think knight has struggled some with their sales. It seems like they need to keep changing things even if the present system works fine just to try to find a way to boost those sales. A lot of people think the disc elite is one of the most accurate muzzleloaders ever, I sure enjoy mine.
Art
Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

I have an original disc with the orange primers. On it is a 2-7x32mm Nikon Pro Staff and that thing will just flat out shoot!!! Its a boring rifle because the weight of the stock soaks up the recoil and you go to the range with it and drill your hole out there, smile and put it away. But if I were headed out west for antelope or something, it would have to be one rifle to be considered in my collection. The other would be my Black Diamond XR. Both of them old technology, but great shooters.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some like them some hate them , now they will become obsolete. Lee
Old 03-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

I do not think they will become 'obsolete' because all of the the Knights that sill use the disc. Not all will be able to upgrade and not all will want to upgrade to the new bolt and breech plug - so I am thinking they will be around for quite awhile - course I am one of then guys that like them.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

The Disc line of rifles that lead to such rifles as the Elite and the Extreme are to this day some of the best shooting rifles you will ever lay your hands on. Their one problem was the plastic 209 holders. While some people like me never saw that as a problem, in fact just the opposite, others while loving the accuracy of the rifle complained that they had to purchase "Knight's" extra plastic disc to load the rifle. I just liked them because when I hunted I could carry the discs in a front vest pocket, where they were easy to get to and it was one of them worthless pockets anyway.

The Discs had a double fold reason to them. They basically sealed the bolt action breech making them virtually water proof. No more worries about rain and snow hunting. Andwhen you're hunting, tell me what you will find in your pocket easier with gloves on... a thick plastic disc with a primer, around the size of a dime, or a 209 primer in your primer carrier, or worse yet, free floating in your pocket. Also the disc made loading in the dark, or without taking your eyes off something,about fool proof as they only go in one way although the orange ones can be a little confusing. Also no tools were needed to unload the disc. Some of the older technology rifles needed a small tool to get the primer out of the breech plug.

Granted the Disc jacket holders are an added expense. And the people buying rifles complained enough that Knight listened. Also the new wave of rifles was changing. Knight and other companies learned that if they did not ride that wave of new designs, they were left behind. So the jacket holder and the Disc was set by the side of the road.

But often times I will recommend a rifle, like the Disc, or Black Diamond, or White, or even a CVA Buckhorn Magnum to someonewho is looking for cost effective shooting with a quality rifle.. While these rifles are older technology, no matter how fancy and new technology your rifle is, you would not want to shoot against some of these old rifles. They lead the way to the new designs we demand today,through innovation, and extreme accuracy.
The first MLer I bought was a Knight Disc and was very pleased with it for 5 years or so. Never had any issues with it, and it is a very accurate rifle. Your right also about the Disc loading vs a small 209 primer, especially in cold wealther.
I have taken the scope off mine and I now use it open sights. I got a nice big doe with it this year about a month ago, shooting Blackhorn 209 and a 300g Barnes MZ. The stocks on the Knights feels like a rifle stock, with the cheek piece.
They are an excellent rifle. I like the handling of it. Very durable rifle. Once drawback is cleaning the bolt after the season, requires some extra tools. I like it because of the dual safety, screwing the bolt back and the thumb safety.
Chap
Old 03-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

I picked up a used, original DISC cheap.

Since I already have a Disc Elite with FPJ and NPFJ breech plugs.... I just swapped out the bolt and B/P of my choice from the Elite to test it out. They interchange perfectly. Now can I use the rec discs or bare 209 primer.

Complicated enough without adding the orange discs to the mix !