Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Impartial shooting results or marketing?

Old 03-09-2009, 08:45 AM
mountaineer magic

Default Impartial shooting results or marketing?

The great thing about Black powder forums is the advice and test results from different individuals. it is always nice to not have to experiment with everything your self. We can all benefit from the experience of others. my question is this: If the test results and photos appear to be more like marketing or advertising by a professional rather than an unbiased report by an average person are they received in the same way? Or if a person thinks promoting a product is the motivation are the results taken lightly? just curious as what you all think.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Spike

Default RE: Impartial shooting results or marketing?

I like to hear what experiences shooters have with various products especially if the productsare new. Saves me a lot of time and money not having to try a lot of different combinations in my muzzleloader to see if they work in my equipment. Plus the effect on game is always important. I turn to various muzzleloader forums and web sites to get opinions from different shooters, some subsidized, some not. Then it is up to me to decide whether try their recommendations or not.
Awhile ago, I had a problem with some Sierra bullets in my 270 that would not expand. I double lunged three mule deer that year and all their lungs looked like I pushed a pencil through them. No expansion at all. I talked to Sierra about the problem and they sent me 25 bullets to see if the newer batch would do the same. Now if I were to report on how these new bullets performed vs the older bullets, would that be "promoting" a product because 1) I received the new bullets no charge 2) I really like the Sierras as they shoot the most accurate in my 270. Still time and money out of my pocket for the powder, primers and reloading plus time at the range and in the field.
Personally, I don't have a problem with someone posting results of products that they may have received for no charge. Just my $.02.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

I think I know what you are talking about, some of use are just a lot more professional in the way we take our photos. Obviously that isn't me.

Ken
Old 03-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: chetmarks

The great thing about Black powder forums is the advice and test results from different individuals. it is always nice to not have to experiment with everything your self. We can all benefit from the experience of others. my question is this: If the test results and photos appear to be more like marketing or advertising by a professional rather than an unbiased report by an average person are they received in the same way? Or if a person thinks promoting a product is the motivation are the results taken lightly? just curious as what you all think.
This is actually a big problem i have with the supposed people who we are suppost to trust to get good information. I went out and bought two Chronagraphs just to double check info you see on the internet. Most is wrong from the so called proffesionals. At least in PA.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't know we had any professionals on here...
Old 03-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

I like to think the best of a forum member intentions when he goes thru the efforts to post his opinions, supported by testing, along with detailed pictures. I rely heavily on these type posts... more so than reading it in a gun mag.

However, in the pastI have been disappointedby a few well known posters (not here), when it became public knowledge that their "opinions" were taintedonthe success or failure of business relationships with the products they touted or bad-mouthed.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

You might not.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know of none. But Grouse does good work.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know of at least two that get on occasionally, but neither has "pushed " any thing,they act like one of the guys.
Someof us have been around long enough to have come to trust a number of people here who tell it the way they see it and realize that not every person or every gun reacts the same to the same thing. Lee
Old 03-09-2009, 01:39 PM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I don't know if we do or not. I haven't seen Toby or Randy unless they use a different name. Jim Shockey made a brief appearance but didn't say much. I wasn't talking about here per se . Just forums and reviews in general. Does the person presenting the information make a difference in how it is received was what I was wondering. I know in a lot of things it does. Sometimes the message is received based on the messenger.
I wasn't talking about anyone in particular

Quick Reply: Impartial shooting results or marketing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.