Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Impartial shooting results or marketing?

Old 03-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Impartial shooting results or marketing?

Does the person presenting the information make a difference in how it is received

100% yes
Old 03-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

All that matters to me is that the bullets i use work for me: They do work for me.Any testing against water, sand,gelatin or whatever does not matter to me. My bullets have proven themselves on hogs and deer, an awful lot of hogs.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Usually you can smell the BS. I just read it, take it with a grain of salt, and move on to something useful.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never actually taken advice from others on bullets for muzzleloaders...

I started with flintlocks in the 70s and still use them and mold my own balls...Flinters are pretty simple and my first love...

I've only been shooting inlines for 12 years or so and between me and 4-5 buddies we have killed deer with 6 different bullets that I can recall...Most had good points and bad points...When someone asks me in person what muzzleloader bullet to use I usually first find out a little about them before I advise them...After I do this, I suggest a couple of different bullets based on my experience with them and their hunting background...

As we discussed a few weeks ago on here, I don't argue on the internet, no sense in it...
Old 03-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

nchawkeye
That is an excellent way to go at it. I think some people fail to realize that there are people who won't shoot a light load and people who won't shoot a heavy load and then there are some of us who will pay for and shoot what ever fills our needs.
While Blackhorn is not for all kinds of guns [I would not dream of trying to shoot it in my traditional muzzle loaders [even though I know how to make it work in them] I think its the greatest thing to happen for TC's modern inlines like the Triumph.
The people who like loads around 1600 to 1800 FPS have real good luck with XTP bullet they are very good at those speeds and work quite well out to 150 yds, some people never have to shoot over 50 yds; then there are people who hunt in areas where it is common to have to shoot across a corn field and they need all they can get.
Then there are people like me I have been shooting muzzle loaders for over 50 years and even owned 1/2 a small business that sold muzzle loaders and archery equipment at one time back before I retired in 91. I experiment because I enjoy doing it and I believe there are a number of people here who recognize that in each other we like to find out what will work the best and what is the most accurate and discuss it with each other and we do not expect every ones needs to be the same or that every one should have the same likes. Lee