Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Opinions on Camo guns

Old 03-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Opinions on Camo guns

I'm not a fan - just don't care for them. No camo stocks or barrels for me. Every long gun I own is blue/wood except the stainless/laminate X7, a combinationIlike also.

Why don't camouflage barrels rust on the outside?
Maybe the rust can't find them.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Grouse45

Alot of people are sending there guns out to get them dipped in camo to protect them from rust andthe elementsfor hunting. I'm looking at a winchester 1300 12gauge i used all season for hunting and there's no rust at all on this gun. Camo is the way to go in my opinion. Plus it hides ALL MARKS AS WELL.

http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_easy.html
So that means you don't wipe down the barrels at the end of the day? You still have to wipe them down don't you? If you do, what do you wipe them down with? I know about people getting their rifles dipped or black iced. But I was always under the impression you still maintained them like any other barrel.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave, I feel the same as you. I have one camo shotgun. A 20 ga 870 that I use for turkey. I also perfer wood and black synthetic over camo. But if I got a deal on a camo (like I did with the 870) I'd buy it.
As for the rusting aspect, I agree it helps to a point. You can get lacks in maintenance on the exterior and ifit gets ascratch in the heavy finish and you don't see it, you could get under lying rust that you won't see.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

ORIGINAL: Grouse45

Alot of people are sending there guns out to get them dipped in camo to protect them from rust andthe elementsfor hunting. I'm looking at a winchester 1300 12gauge i used all season for hunting and there's no rust at all on this gun. Camo is the way to go in my opinion. Plus it hides ALL MARKS AS WELL.

http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_easy.html
So that means you don't wipe down the barrels at the end of the day? You still have to wipe them down don't you? If you do, what do you wipe them down with? I know about people getting their rifles dipped or black iced. But I was always under the impression you still maintained them like any other barrel.
I just wipe mine off with a dry rag. That's it. That rag might have some left over oil on it but not intended to. The end of season all guns are wiped with Break Free CLP camo or not.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

WOW... thats interesting. Almost makes me want to get one to play with.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not me.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Not me.
Is there a reason you do not like the camouflaged dipped barrels? I always worried that the paint would start to come off of them and then you'd have a mess.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

All the guns I have owned and never a camo one. But I try to keep an open mind, they are ok if you like them. Lee
Old 03-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only own/have owned one gun that was camo. So my opinion is based on one gun so admitedly I have a narrow scope of opinion. I have an 870 Turkey Special that has the advantage Camo (probably 10 years old now) There are several places on it where it has gotten scratched and the camo has come off. Granted, that's 10 years of chasin' birds though some pretty nasty stuff but I really don't like that.

I don't know if it helps hunting wise or not. I know I don't like stainless or glossy barrels because of the glare that comes off them. I've been busted more than once by old toms catchin' the shine off my Wingmaster. Deer obviously don't have the eyes that turkey's do so I don't feel like the camo is any advantage for concealment.

Bottom line, as with all these guns, if you like it, buy it.

My $0.02
Old 03-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have guns with camo finishes and the ones today have almost photo like qualities. i usually only use hoppes cleaner in the black jar with the copper remover and it has never eaten the finish off. a camo finish will wear here and there a bit in general but provide decent enought rust protection. its no more protecting than the finish on a car. you can certainly touch them up with things like duracoat or even krylon. camo may help with hunting game to some degree but i think you will never know though. deer supposedly see in black and white and shades of blue and yellow and ultrviolet. other game like bear and turkey can see color. the gleam from a nicely oiled blued barrel in the morning light may not scrare off some game but you will never know. i feel game in many instances pick us off while hunting but we never know it depending on there sight conditions if that makes sense. i like less maitanance . i have several guns done in camo dip as well as duracoat-black ice teflon and birdsongs black tea. each has there own merit. touching up blueing is a pain. i love the look of blueing but give me a synthetic stock and a protective finish any day.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Camo guns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.