Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Getting the new Triumph Ready

Old 03-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Getting the new Triumph Ready

Finally got both Renegades cleaned up and out away so I turned my attention to the new Triumph.

The first problem I tried to tackle was the lock up mechanism. I could lock and un-lock the gun with very little pressure - just my little finger. I called TC and talked to a tech and he said that was to light - he said to send it in - but I decided to give it a shot myself first - it is a very simple gun - can not figure out why it should cost so much. So took the gun apart and got into the trigger mechanism to adjust the cam. I have no idea why I forgot to get some pictures but I did. I really did not like the method that is needed to take the barrel away from the receiver. You have to loosen a lock screw and remove a pin at the front of the trigger guard - not difficult just a nusiance. To get the cam nut to adjust the closing pressure you need to remove the stock and then a pin from the reciever. With the pin out the trigger guard and the cam will fall out in your hand. NOTE: if you push the pin out from left to right and only as far as necessary to remove the mechanism you will not loose the trigger spring. The only slightly difficult problem is one end of the trigger return spring rides on the top of that pin and it is somewhat fun to get it back in the proper place. Adjust the cam not is not a problem it is has some line marks on the nut notice where they are and start your adjustments. In my case the pressure was to light so I turned the clockwise 1/4 turn and re-installed trigger guard. Re-assembled the receiver installed the barrel - And it worked I now have snap pressure.

The next thing I did was to pack the hollow butt stock with bubble wrap to reduce stock noise. Installed stock back on the receiver and the forearm back onto the barrel. I like the way the forearm installs - it should not cause any accuracy problems.

Next, I turned to the bore - wonder what size it really is? Just for drill I dropped a .495 round ball down the barrel - I really expected to drop - bang to the bottom but it didn't, it slid done somewhat slowly, I could even hear it push some air out of the breech plug, then when I tipped the barrel down I heard and felt it start its way out but it never came out - it got hung up in there.... Removed the plug and pushed it out with the ram rod - fell right out... This gun is going to have a very tight bore, I am expecting .499/.500.

Next I started to clean the barrel... that poduced some interesting results... I ran patch treated with traditions bore solvent down the barrel - that was even tight and when it came out it came out a bit dirty and yellow...(first patch on left) next to down was a dry patch it was very tight also and did come out with a bit of discoloration on it also - so flipped it over and ran it again - Next down was a dry patch - it came out with definite black streaks... Next patch down was a patch treated with Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner - it came out dirty did not look good at all. Took the gun to the shop and ran two patches of Barnes CR-10 - I gotta tell you I have never seen a white patch come out that blue - ran it both sides - both sides turned blue.... Ran one more CR-10 patch and it came out lighter - Left it sitting with CR-10 in the bore working for an hour...

What causes the blue color... Finally got the bore spic-an-span clean and it really looks good.

Next, I decided i would try to push some sabot/projectiles through. I took the easy way out first - I ran a 200 XTP and a Harvester 'crush wib' - it was tight - there is no way a MMP 40 cal sabot would be put down this bore with out pounding it down. Then I tried a .452/250 FTX again first in a Harvester 'crush rib'. Again loaded very snuggly - i think it would be a good match. Then I tried the MMP HPH-3p. Think this will be the first one I try with BH. Next I tried a Harvester 'short black' - if I had to load that each time I wanted to shoot the Triumph BH or not - I would sell the gun- there is not joy loading the short black.

Finally weight - I like the weight of this gun - i could carry this around all day and feel pretty good about it. This is the wieght with scope installed.

My 270 Browning 'A' bolt is slightly lighter 7.11 lbs.

Now just got to find time to go shoot it.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Getting the new Triumph Ready

What do you expect was in that bore? I never saw a patch come out like that.

That really is a light rifle. Do you expect a lot of recoil on that rifle, or is the stock such that it should soak up the kick?

Also that really is a tight bore if a .495 ball will not roll through it.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

That blue and really a bright blue surprised me. Copper turns the patch green, I know that - but that intense blue???? Maybe lead but would go blue but I thought it would come out grey...

The only thing special for recoil is that it has a Simms recoil pad on it. And it really is spongy soft. It will be interseting to shoot it. I am going to start off with 10mm/200 grain bullets and work my way up through from there.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mike, my Triunph was like that when I got it, it miked at just under .498, after I fought it for a while I lead lapped it close to .500. I am quite happy with it now. Even the crush ribs were tight to start with now it will use the SB Harvester and the MMP HPH 24. Lee
Old 03-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

Good to know...

Right now I am not going to lap this one - just shoot it. But I think I will be using 3p's they load just right on a clean barrel and on a BH fouled barrel they should really be good....

What about that longggg Breech plug how bad does the flash channel build up with BH carbon - actually how fast?

I took it out in the garage and shot 5 primers a few minute ago - I was surprised how clean the exterior of the BP was - it really dirtied up the barrel though.

I am trying to get some spare 'O' rings and gas seals from TC - but I could not catch any one in the store this afternoon - I did get thru to a repair tech though - that surprised me.

later - mike
Old 03-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here's a wild guess with respect to the blue patch. There are some very specialized greases that contain copper.I wonder if TC is using some type of copper containing lubricant in the rifling process.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Dominant Buck

That very well might be Semisane.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am doing some testing on that now, what I know so far is that the regular winchester primers while shooting very accurate also are one of the worst for carboning up the plug between where the 209 sets and the touch hole, I have had a fair amout of carbon in as little as a dozen or 15 shots, The Rem STS appears to be much better so I am thinking it may have a lot to do with what primer is used.
I picked up a screw driver that powered by flash light batteries that came with a drill [1/8] and a screw driver tip for 10 dollars it is a wood drill and not as hard as the BP so it is not going to cut it up and it cleans out the carbon in about 2 or 3 seconds, very handy. Lee
Old 03-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

Very good! I think you are right - the barrel was coated with something in there I could see it.... regular solvent did not touch it - but the Barnes CR-10 sure loosened it up.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

I have some Cheddites - I'll try them. Plus I will try some CCI-209m's

I have one of those little lithium powered drills that would work very well also...

Just looked the speed breeches are expensive....

Quick Reply: Getting the new Triumph Ready

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.