Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Getting the new Triumph Ready

Old 03-05-2009, 06:43 PM

Default RE: Getting the new Triumph Ready

As with any Muzzleloader, anyone can find something to complain about. The trigger should snap and lock the gun up tight. As you stated very loose and not working properly. The triumphs are very very tight bores. My most accurate load was the 250grn SST with the Harvester short Black sabot. It would flat out shoot tight groups. Is it to hard to load for hunting? One two or maybe three times a year if you got a very accurate load? Keep us posted on how it shoots. I will be very surprised if the three petal sabot shoots. worst sabot i ever tried to be honest.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

TomDrechsler

My most accurate load was the 250grn SST with the Harvester short Black sabot. It would flat out shoot tight groups. Is it to hard to load for hunting?
At this point on a brand new bore - they are definitely to hard to load to be considered a hunting sabot. I would also expect the bore to loosen as it is used.

Keep us posted on how it shoots. I will be very surprised if the three petal sabot shoots. worst sabot i ever tried to be honest.
Gee! I am sorry to here that about the 3p - I have never had a gun that I needed to use them in, but before they were released to the public Del sent me a couple of hundred to try. I shot them in my A&H and they certainly worked well there - Hopefully maybe they will work in this Triumph to get me started.

I am hoping to get out and pull the trigger the first time this weekend, although I am suppose to trap shoot both Saturday and Sunday. I am going to weigh some loads of BH tomorrow and get ready... are you going 70 grains by wieght to 100 grains by volume or 67 grains/100...

My complaints are function of my age, I am an old guy that that is locked in things that i call normal, normal look, normal fit, evrything needs to be normal - when I hit something new it requires that 'I' adapt - there in lies the problem.

Tom, I am glad you have made your way over here - this is really a good place lots of knowing people and people that want to know.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Mike, Congradulations on your new ML, hope you enjoy it! My buddy that also got the Triumh got himself into a jam. He got a sabot stuck in the bore. I asked him if he ran a patch down the bore after every shot and he said no, was I suppos to? I guess it's my fault for not letting him load and shoot on his own. As befor he used my ML and I'd load it and when and if he shot it I'd bring it home and clean and reload it for him.
Now that he has his own ML he has a-lot to learn. I guess my one day on the range with him was'nt enough, my fault for not stressing the facts on everything about loading and shooting and cleaning. Im just glad he did'nt blow it up with a short started load! I have'nt seen it to help him out yet, but I told him to leave it alone untill I get there. He said he's had enough and wants to quit already.
I'll straighten him out and get him back in the saddle. Anyway good to see your having fun, I have'nt got to shoot since the last time I did. Our weather is just finally starting to get better. Keep us posted on your likes and dislikes on the Trimuph, so I can help my buddy out with his. BP
Old 03-05-2009, 08:03 PM

sabotloader
I've got a Triumph that is identical to yours. It has proven to be good shooter with several bullets and 110gn BH. What do think about the finish on the barrel? The bluing job on mine leaves a lot to be desired. In fact I've experienced some strange markings on the inside of the barrel; similar to pitting. BH is all I've ever shot out of mine. I like the way it handles and the overall weight. My barrel is also very tight. With .452 bullets I use the Harvester Black Crushed Ribs. It's not an Encore for sure but it shoots well.
Zen
Old 03-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

I wish the gun was mine... Grouse sent it to me from PA to shoot. I was actually asking him about a Disc Elite and he asked me if I wanted to shoot a Triumph - now what a guy suppose to say Well, it showed up Tuesday and I have been getting it ready to go since then. It is a brand new gun so I wanted to take it apart clean and lube it.

I plan to shoot a lot of different stuff out it- even stuff I do not normally shoot, the only stipulation set forth by Grouse was he wanted me to shoot BH in the gun. Have you heard of Parker Bullets? Well they make them over the hill from me and I even want to try some of them - they are expensive but I think might be able to buy a few and have Bob donate some for the expriments.

I will try to post everything I do as Tom wants to know what is going on also.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, never heard of Parker Bullets. I also never got a gun that I had to give back, kinda like getting a new puppy and once you bond you have to give it back. But I guess you'll have fun experimenting and if for some reason you dont like the ML you did'nt buy it so you just send it back. Anyway Im sure you'll have fun and that's all that matters, Take Care and Havea Blast! Ron
Old 03-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Panhandle

What do think about the finish on the barrel? The bluing job on mine leaves a lot to be desired.
I am not sure that is blueing... I think it is the new stuff a colored Weather Shield. This one does not look to bad right now.

In fact I've experienced some strange markings on the inside of the barrel; similar to pitting. BH is all I've ever shot out of mine.
Right now the bore in this gun looks like glass - I sure hope it stays that way. I am hoping BH is good as everyone says. I have only shot a couple of bottles of it in different guns.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

I have been shooting the T777 primers and had great luck with them, and as far as cleaning the breech plug the breech plug cleaners from cva work great
Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mike I have one recommendation on the drill, the very cheap wood [twist] are not hard enough to cut hard steel and work quite well for cutting out the carbon very quickly with out endangering the B Plug. Lee
Old 03-06-2009, 07:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

Good info...

It is clear and 20 degrees here - 3/4" inches of new snow - but I think I will have to go out and do it this morning... Terry has the truck for a book sale this morning but by mid-day I should have it... gotta go weight some BH...

thanks - mike

Quick Reply: Getting the new Triumph Ready

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.