Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

testing new roundball

Old 03-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Default testing new roundball

I was told about some good deals on roundball, so I purchased a lot of them. They are nice looking ball, so I wanted to see how well they shot. To do this I decided to use my Thompson Center PA hunter with the 1-66 twist barrel.

For kicks I wanted to get the target back to 50 yards because of Sabotloader trying off hand shooting. But with the snow being unstable, and having a bad knee right now, I got to 40 yards and decided not to risk anymore sinking in the snow.

After shooting the first two shots free hand, I decided I did not want to shoot free hand. I could not believe how bad I was shooting free hand.

can you guess which ones were off hand...

I then sat at the bench and shot a group. Not too bad for eight rounds. I had pre- measured a number of loads. This one was 85 grains of Graf's & Sons 3f and the new cast roundball. They were selling these roundball for $4.95 a hundred. And they are cast from pure lead. Very nice looking, and well made.

I then wanted to try 85 grains of Graf's 2f and had loaded some of them tubes as well. Again, 40 yards. two kind of slipped out of my group there.

So I upped the powder charge to 90 grains of the Graf's 2f and was shooting for that little green square. The one shot (#2) that went outof that group was my fault. I knew it the second the rifle fired that I had not concentrated on the sight and pulled the shot.

I was swabbing between shots with a spit patch. And then two dry patches. It was nice and warm today at 40ยบ so it was nice not having to wear a winter jacket today. But it was kind of damp out. Very over cast.

These round ball I purchased seem great. I am sure glad I was told about them. I bought them on line at Gander Mountain.

So this rifle is a very good shooter. I have a lot more shooting to do. Also when I cleaned this rifle, for some reason it was filthy. It took me a lot longer to clean this rifle today then normal.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: testing new roundball

I'm spending too much time on here...About lunch time I noticed that you weren't around and said...
"Looks like Cay is shooting today"...

Glad you had a good session...
Old 03-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Real nice shooting,what is the name of them balls? Did you have montana x in this gun?Why do you think it was harder to clean cause they were pure lead or maybe dampness?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=402606&pdesc=Bullet_W eights_490_Caliber_Round_Lead_Balls_100_Pack&m erchID=4005&str=402606&from=search

this gun was not treated with Montana X-treme products. I think it was the extreme humidity outside and the fact I shoot black powder. Actually the 2f fouled less then the 3f. Now that made no sense to me at all.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I checked my link... some dirty dog must have went in there and bought them out. They have their SOLD OUT sign on that link now.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Actually the 2f fouled less then the 3f. Now that made no sense to me at all.

Well if it was humidity that would make sense if i'm thinking right.The 3f is smaller therefore it would (humidity) get to it faster.
I have a gander store about 20 minutes away i'll check there.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cayugad

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=402606&pdesc=Bullet_W eights_490_Caliber_Round_Lead_Balls_100_Pack&m erchID=4005&str=402606&from=search

this gun was not treated with Montana X-treme products. I think it was the extreme humidity outside and the fact I shoot black powder. Actually the 2f fouled less then the 3f. Now that made no sense to me at all.
Thats a nice looking rifle!! How long is the barrel, 36" ?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:41 PM

That's a great price in today's market. Looks like the gun is a real shooter. I've got the same rifle in flintlock & it really keeps the roundballs tight.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Dominant Buck

that's only got a 32 inch barrel. And it's really a good shooter.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:29 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

i hope the day comes that my renegade can group like that..nice shootin. karl

Quick Reply: testing new roundball

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.