Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.54 New Englander Vol III: Day of the Conicals

Old 03-02-2009, 06:09 AM

Default .54 New Englander Vol III: Day of the Conicals

As previously posted, I found a good roundball load for this rifle, but initial results with cast maxiballs were so-so. Now that the barrel is well broken in, decided to devote a full range day to the maxis. Running low on bore butter, so I lubed them with Crisco, filling the bottom groove but just a light coating on the rest. Also settled on trying a 30-grain cornmeal "wad".

Started with 90 grains Goex 3f. 1st 50 yard3-shot group was on paper, and was a near clover leaf. Adjusted the sights to center a bit better, and got a 5-shot group with 4 shots touching & one just barely to the side. Shot 8 shots at 25 yards just to see how tight it would be, and was rewarded with one ragged hole about an inch across. Had 6 bullets left, so I set it back at 50. Made another sight adjustment after the 1st shot, then proceded to shoot the remaining 5 into a 1-1/4 " group. Was so impressed with this load I ran out of maxis without testing other powder charges. I do intend to shoot some with 80 & 100 grain loads next time out. Bottom line, now that the barrel has settled down, this thing seems to absolutely love the maxiballs.

Anyone know if there is a mold on the market for casting the 430-grain maxiballs? Got these from a local shop where they've been collecting dust for years (the price reflected it), but they've only got a few bags left. After that I'd have to pay the going rate, which seems to be ~$15 per 20. Would rather cast them myself, but didn't see a mold that would produce this exact bullet on the Lee or Lyman websites.

BTW, the maxiballs were pretty tight going down the barrel, tighter than a .530 rb with pillow tick patch. Suspect this has something to do with the excellent groups.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: .54 New Englander Vol III: Day of the Conicals

Lyman makes a maxiball mold. They come in .50 and .54 caliber. The molds are a little expensive, then you have to buy the handles for the mold too. Just another way to get a few more bucks out of you. But, they are a high quality mold. I had one for the .50 caliber and it threw a real nice bullet. Somewhere in my travels or what, I lost it. That was a real shame.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:58 AM

Thanks cayugad, I must've overlooked it on the website. Lyman's are a bit pricey, but still worth it if a fellow wants to shoot a lot of a particular bullet. & if these results prove repeatable in another range session, I will be shooting a bunch of 430 grain maxiballs! I really believe that rifle/load combo can do better than I can aim with factory sights & shooting through a tube range.

I'm just thrilled with how well this rifle shoots both rb & maxi after the first 150 shots or so. So much that I'm thinking way ahead (rare for me) & trying to get me a scope base that'll fit the New Englander off e-bay or gunbroker. Have no intentions of putting on a scope right now (frankly I don't trust the contraptions), but years down the road it may be necessary if the eyes can't handle irons anymore.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

My neighbor (three miles away.. neighbor.. I love that) bought a T/C New Englander when they first came out. His is a .50 caliber. And he knew nothing about muzzleloaders. I had a weekend where I taught him the basic. Even his wife got into shoot it. And he later bought her a CVA Hawkins.

Anyway, we discovered that 70 grains of Pyrodex and a maxiball was deadly accurate out of his rifle. He's shot deer and bear with that load. He said he shot a deer once at 70 yards and that bullet worked perfect. He said he never saw a blood trail that good. And the bear he shot (I helped him find that one) he hit perfect. That bear ran off (right at dusk mine you) and he heard it death moan. But he did not want to go in the dark after it alone, so of course he calls me. [:@] I think he wanted help getting it out of the woods. We found that bear about 50 yards from where he shot, and the hole that maxiball put in that bear was impressive to say the least.

I have to pick up some maxiball in .54 caliber and try them in my New Englander. I have a .50 caliber New Englander coming any day now so I will try some in that as well as I have them around the house.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ky (Now that just don't sound right) - glad you found a good shooting load for your rifle. Hard to improve on a basically one hole group. But now you can play around with charges.

Dave - I suspect that the reason your neighbor asked you to help him was not that you are such an expert tracker - it just that he could probably run faster than you....
Old 03-02-2009, 11:22 AM

I suspect that the reason your neighbor asked you to help him was not that you are such an expert tracker - it just that he could probably run faster than you....
If I'm ever given the chance to hunt bear, gonna invite the most overweight, out of shape buddy I can find. Put peanut butter sandwiches& a pack of Bit-O-Honey's in his pack
Just for insurance.

I know what you mean Dave, anyone less than <15 minute drive I consider a neighbor, anything <30 minute drive is "just down the road". It's all relative, I guess.

Was surprised that 430 grains of lead didn't produce that much recoil. You know when it goes off, but it's actually quite tolerable with 90 grains fffg. Will definitely try groups with 70, 80, & 100 grain charges. Probably not above 100 though, since I'm using fffg. TC specifies 120 grains ffg as max load, & I see reports of 10-20% pressure increase with fffg over ffg. Don't want to push it.