Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

350 gr Hornady FPB's & Wolverine

Old 03-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default 350 gr Hornady FPB's & Wolverine

3-1-09 2:30 pm weather sunny, clear, 12ºs, windy, COLD.
Rifle: Knight Wolverine LK-II with 2.5x20mm Simmons scope
Distance: 30 yards bench rest & 63 yards can plinking
Ignition: RWS 1075+ caps
Powder: American Pioneer 2f & Triple Seven 2f
Projectiles: 250 grain Hornady .452 XTP in Harvester Crushed Rib sabots
100 grains of American Pioneer Powder 2f
350 gr Hornady FPB conicals w/80 gr Triple Seven 2f
250 gr Saber Tooth Conicals w/80 gr Triple Seven 2f

It looked nice out, but looks can deceive. Once out on the bench the wind let me know it was going to be another miserable day. I only hoped the shooting would not be.

I started with 100 grains of American Pioneer Powder 2f and some 250 grain Hornady XTP's. I used the Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. I also did not swab between shots. (this should answer the question I hope of the person thatPM'd me reference this load and rifle.. I think with a different powder it can do better) I was kind of excited when the first two touched inside the bulls eye. Then the next two had a mind of their own and flew fowl. It could have been because I was not swabbing.

I then used a spit patch and swabbed the bore of the rifle. I set the spit patch down and would discover that before I could use it a second time, it was frozen stiff already from the cold. Kind of like my ears and moustache was. I wanted to try some of the Hornady FPB's 350 grain in this little Wolverine. I knew it could not take a large powder charge, so I dropped down to 80 grains and loaded Triple Seven 2f.

It surprised me that the 350 grain Hornady FPB hit exactly where the 250 grain XTPs hit. I swabbed and shot a total of four FPB's into that big hole. Needless to say, I was impressed. That will be this rifle's hunting load from now on. Loading these FPB's is a bit of a challenge. Especially with gloves on. I had to center the FPB on the muzzle, use the short handle of the T starter. Then a quick smack,to stomp all but the tip of the conical under the muzzle, and then the long part to get the projectile into the barrel. After that, they slide down real nice.. and shot even better.

I then swabbed real good and shot the three Saber Tooth 250 grain conicals. I was to cold to spit any more so I shot those three without swabbing. I was using 80 grains of Triple Seven 2f and really did not notice a crud ring to speak of. Also the Saber Tooth were a definite slip fit conical. I could push them under the muzzle with my thumb, no short starter needed, and then seat them with the weight of the ramrod almost. Why the third one took a dive, I have no idea. I had a great sight picture and trigger control. Maybe I should have swabbed.

I then swabbed the barrel with a patch and some Rusty Duck Black Off. And a dry patch. I had taken the target down and had went inside to warm up a little and decide how bad I wanted to shoot. I drank a soda, and decided I wanted to shoot again.

The soda can was placed at 63 yards. Using 80 grains of Triple Seven and a Hornady FPB. I got a great sight picture and fired. The can disappeared.I swabbed and took a walk to check. The first shot clipped the veryleft side of it. I had noted at 30 yards, that they hit a little to the left. After I re-set the can, I reloaded with the same load. Thistime I aimed just on the outside ofthe right side of the can, and hit almost dead center. The third shot was the same. It was a dead can.

This rifle and these FPB's seem made for each other. When it gets warmer, I want to do a little more shooting. Maybe tomorrow..
Old 03-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 350 gr Hornady FPB's & Wolverine

Dave
You keep shooting in this cold weather we are having and you will need a heated seat on the shooting bench. You need a heated shooting house/gun room.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:37 PM
mountaineer magic

That's some good info for me. I have a Wolverine LK11 that I bought about 6 or 7 years ago and have never shot it. Several times I have moved it around , even thought about selling it ,but never took it out and tried anything in it. Maybe I should see how it does. Yours looks like it shoots pretty good.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Dominant Buck

When I extend my wood working shop, I intend on doing just that. I will box off one small corner, insulate the devil out of it, put an electric base board heater in there, and have a sliding patio door face the range. Then all I have to do is keep the heat on low, and slide the door open when I want to shoot. I can leave my bench rest out there, range rods, and lots of other things. I think that's a great idea there John. Every one should have a place like that. Maybe an air conditioner for the summer heat days....
Old 03-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Dominant Buck

chetmarks.. that little wolverine is a great rifle. There is no use loading large powder charges in it, but for a walking around or tree rifle, it would be hard to beat. Mine also shoots Shockwaves excellent. The 250 grain Shockwaves shoot real well with about 85 grains of powder. Mine has a #11 ignition system, and it is all I have ever needed. I threw a $19.95 Simmons scope on it, and it really is a sweet little rifle.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've got to hand it to you Cayugad. You're one tough nut when it comes to low temperatures.

I planned ona three day shoot at the hunting lease Friday thru Sunday. I did shoot all Friday afternoon (report later). ButFriday night a cold front moved through and gave us temperatures in the mid-40'swith a vicious wind. So I spent Saturday with a chain saw widening a couple of shooting lanes andopening up a new tractor trail. When I got up this morning (Sunday) it was in the mid-30's and the wind was still a-howling. No way was I going to shoot in that - it's just not enjoyable and I've reached the stage where I avoid things that are not enjoyable if at all possible. I wanted badly to shoot, but not THAT badly.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like the FPB,it shot really good in my guns, close to the grouping of other bullets in the Triumph but about 10 inches low @ 100yds in the Omega. Been trying to decide if I should sell the Omega and get an other Triumph for a back up gun, its just that I have a really hard time parting with one that shoots that good. Lee
Old 03-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cayugad, that is some good shooting. In awful weather too.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very good shooting Dave. I was wondering if you have tried the FPB's in any of your white rifles? I bought four packs on clearance to try out of mine.

. I bought four packs on clearance to try out of my White.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Semisanethat is sweatshirt weather your talking about.Your luck must run like mine seeing how you were
telling how you were sweating before you left.

Good shooting and good report cayugad
How did you like the AP powder, was it a lot cleaner on the patches?

Quick Reply: 350 gr Hornady FPB's & Wolverine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.