Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sabots for load development.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default Sabots for load development.

If I wanted to get a supply of sabots for load development that would work for any gun/bullet combo which sabots would I need.

I came up with this list. Am I missing any? Do I need to take any out? Just want to update my supply of sabots for any situation/gun/bullet.

45 Cal. bullets
MMP - HPH 12
MMP - HPH 24
MMP - Short Black
Harvester - Short Blcak
Harvester - Black Crush rib

44 Cal. Bullets
Harvester - Green
Harvester - Green Crush Rib
MMP - Green(HPH 12)

40 Cal. Bullets
MMP - Blue
Harvester - Blue Crush Rib

Would this cover the different size ranges of bullets and rifle bores?

Old 02-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Sabots for load development.

I assume you are talking 50 cal rifle here? I haven't used any of the MMP sabots but some of the guys have had good success with them using 40, 44, and 45 cal bullets.
I have had good luck with the Harvester cursh rib sabots in the 44/50 (green) and 45/50 (black).
I have found that the Harvesters were consistant in regard to the amount of pressure needed to seat the bullet. The black and yellow sabots that come with the T/C Shock Wave bullets were very inconsistant. Some would slip right down the bore while others you really had to bear down on the ramrod, and everything in between. This inconsistancy can really affect accuracy.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

SHulion

Scott it looks to me that you have everything covered, for all three bullets - 10mm, .430, and .452

I have had somewhat different luck than Bronko - I really do prefer to use MMP when I can, but that is not always the case - if you have to use the 'crush rib' then that is what needs to be done. What I have found when loading a 'cr' is that I loose a little bit of velocity from a solid sabot - unless the 'cr' fits realy tight.

If you look at Kingofcoins - fit chart you will see that there is a very small difference between the Harvester - short black and the MMP HPH-24. Then check the diameter of the 'cr' - if your gun is tight then the'cr' might be the way to go. Also check the MMP-3p which is also very close to the 'cr' but is a solid sabot.

Good luck in your search...
Old 02-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

It often is necessary to cross check the sabots the same size to. I found that even though the Short black Harvester and the MMP HPH are the same size and fit my Triumph and Omega very well that one or the other will all ways be much more accurate with a certain bullet, for instace the SW shoot much better groups with the short black Harvester but the 250 Gold Dot is more accurate with the HPH24. Lee
Old 02-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SHulion

If I wanted to get a supply of sabots for load development that would work for any gun/bullet combo which sabots would I need.

I came up with this list. Am I missing any? Do I need to take any out? Just want to update my supply of sabots for any situation/gun/bullet.

45 Cal. bullets
MMP - HPH 12
MMP - HPH 24
MMP - Short Black
Harvester - Short Blcak
Harvester - Black Crush rib

44 Cal. Bullets
Harvester - Green
Harvester - Green Crush Rib
MMP - Green(HPH 12)

40 Cal. Bullets
MMP - Blue
Harvester - Blue Crush Rib

Would this cover the different size ranges of bullets and rifle bores?
There is a red crushed rib for .452 bullets made for smokeless, it is thicker and stronger than most sabots, so I would include them.

Also include the .458 MMP Orange sabots for 45/70 rifle bullets, which shoot very well in MLers.
Chap
Old 02-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually you might narrow the list by telling us what rifle, for instance a White rifle will normally have a big bore .503 or .504 a savage is usually on the larger side but not as big as a White with the Knights it will make a difference how old it is with the TC's the Omega and the Triumph usually have a bore on the tight size around .498
so you might save some unnecessary expense by checking you bore the easy way you can do that is to flatten a round ball the carefully us a short starter that is about bore size to drive it in with the short starter the push it back out from the breach with a ramrod on to a soft cloth and measure the bore not the rifling. Lee
Old 02-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

There is a red crushed rib for .452 bullets made for smokeless, it is thicker and stronger than most sabots, so I would include them.
You beat me to it chap.Allen from Harvester says it measures .508 (I can't verify that as I've never shot them) That's crazy oversized.

You smokeless shooters, I know you have to have a tight fit to get smokeless to ignite but does it have to be that tight of a fit? Just curious, I've never shot a smokeless ML.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TNHagies

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

You beat me to it chap.Allen from Harvester says it measures .508 (I can't verify that as I've never shot them) That's crazy oversized.

You smokeless shooters, I know you have to have a tight fit to get smokeless to ignite but does it have to be that tight of a fit? Just curious, I've never shot a smokeless ML.
With the Parker Ballistic Extremes, the sabot they supply is very very loose in a Savage, but they are one accurate bullet. The Red CF works good with them, they are .450. A lot of guys have bought PacNor barrels for the Savage and are shooting sabotless, since they are target shooters and do NOT want to wait for the barrel to cool for maximum accuracy. Me, I am a hunter. A 1.5 inch group at 100 is plenty for me. The target shooters want to do this ever time:

http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=smokeless&action=display&t hread=779

Which is awsome shooting for 100 yards, with 300g Parker Hydracons and 53g of 4198, a 45/70 powder. I do not know what sabot they are using in this example above. My experience with sabots in the Savage is that they have to be super tight, not just push down tight, like my Omega or Knight Disc. If you can push it down with 1 hand it is not tight enough in the Savage. If it takes a short starter and a XS power rod and you have to lean into it to get it to go down with your whole upper body, then it is "Savage tight", which is good. The Red CR is designed for .452 bullets in a Savage. I will measure some up sometime soon, so we all know what I am talking about. Also will show my Savage on my bath room scale and how much pressure it takes to push a bullet down in my Savage, it is a lot with a dirty barrel. 4198 is much cleaner than 5744, so I like it much better. I have my Savage loaded right now and it has been loaded for over 2 months in the garage, I will shoot it sometime soon.
Chap
Old 02-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input guys. Is the MMP green sabot larger than the Harvester green. I am shooting the Harvester in my Endeavor with good results, but I would like for the sabot to fit a little tighter since I'm shooting BH209.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

SHulion

Think you will find that the MMP HPH - Green is thicker than the Harvester green or crush rib.

The number in redis the diameter of a loaded sabot with a .429 projectile..

Harvester H5044 G 44/50
Green
0.894"
0.500"

0.504"

Harvester Crush Rib 44/50
Green
0.887"
0.499"

0.504"

MMP HPH 44/50
Green
0.868"
0.494"

0.505"

Hornady # 6750 44/50
Green
0.755"
0.494"

0.5065"

Quick Reply: Sabots for load development.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.