Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Does a different sabot make a difference?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Does a different sabot make a difference?

Really feel bad for you Semisane. And I'm sure Cayugad feels the same.It's really a shame that you have to suffer in that heat while us northern guys are staying nice and cool.
Gee.. I really hope you don't get a flat tire on your way up the camp.
Have safe trip and think of us while you're wiping off your brow.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

The right sabot makes a big difference in my Knight...With MMP-24s and the ones with Hornady SSTs my group opens up...With the ones supplied by T/C my groups are good...

Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad
It made it to 70 yesterday and 65 today spring is on the way. Soon as the wind gets reasonable we will head for the range. Lee
Old 02-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

I would have to say YES INDEED. OK, I know one test does not support this statistically. But with results this dramatic I am convinced. Both 5 shot groups below were shot at 50 yards with my cap lock 50 cal Hawken GM LRH barrel and using 300 gr Shock Wave bullets and 100 gr of FFg. The only difference was the group on the left was with the sabots that came with the shock waves. The group on the right was using Harvester black CR sabots.
During the course of the shooting I did notice that the T/C sabots varied in the amount of pressure required to seat the bullet. Some were tight, others only moderately tight. The CRs were consistant with each loading.
On a side note - to ease Cayugad and Semisane's mind, the fouling with this rifle was about what you would expect with BP. (barrel was treated with MX BC). The only difference between today and yesterday was I swabbed the bore with 2 alcohol patches and dried prior to shooting. After each shot, the barrel was swabbed with a T/C #13 patch and 2 dry patches.

Sabots make a huge difference, primer makes somewhat of a difference, powder makes a difference, swabbing makes a difference, 10g of power makes a difference:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/shooting_mlers_for_accuracy.htm

Consistent procedure makes a huge difference. Loading pressure makes a difference with Savage and smokeless and Blackhorn in inlines. Your "hand loading" each shot, so expect huge differences.
Chap
Old 02-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

cayugad
It made it to 70 yesterday and 65 today spring is on the way. Soon as the wind gets reasonable we will head for the range. Lee

Heck that would be summer time temps around here.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Chap - Not sure what you mean by handloading each shot. Don't we all.
During this entire shooting session, except for the very first shot from a squeaky clean barrel, each successive shot was loaded exactly the same. Powder was premeasured at home, swabbing between each shot was the same, bullets were seated to the same depth and shooting style was consistant.
The only difference was the sabots and the amount of pressure required to seat them. The T/C sabots were inconsistant while the Harvesters, without the benefit of a pressure scale, felt the same.
This difference in required seating pressure is what I am sure led to the huge difference in accuracy. Now had the pressures been consistant with the T/C sabots, either tight or loose, I believe that group would have also been smaller.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Chap - Not sure what you mean by handloading each shot. Don't we all.
During this entire shooting session, except for the very first shot from a squeaky clean barrel, each successive shot was loaded exactly the same. Powder was premeasured at home, swabbing between each shot was the same, bullets were seated to the same depth and shooting style was consistant.
The only difference was the sabots and the amount of pressure required to seat them. The T/C sabots were inconsistant while the Harvesters, without the benefit of a pressure scale, felt the same.
This difference in required seating pressure is what I am sure led to the huge difference in accuracy. Now had the pressures been consistant with the T/C sabots, either tight or loose, I believe that group would have also been smaller.
Sorry my comments are made for other readers and not directed at you personally Bronko22000. I know you know these things. Sorry I did not mean to confuse you. Chap
Old 02-28-2009, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Chap - No offense taken. I'm sure we all agree that consistancy translates directly to accuracy.
Based on this limited test, it is apparent that the Harvester sabots meet a higher quality control standard than the ones made for T/C. I personally do not believe that T/C makes these sabots but have them made for them