Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Does anyone shoot ball/cap revolvers?

Old 02-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Does anyone shoot ball/cap revolvers?

I'm thinking of buying a few of these. I would like a 31, 36, and a 44 or 45. Are any of these more accurate than the other or does one have more knock down power than the other...I mean other than the obvious cal. differances?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Does anyone shoot ball/cap revolvers?

I shoot a 1851 New Army Remington model made by F.L.Lippeta in .44 caliber. I bought the target model. It shoots a .451 roundball with 30 grains of APP 3f powder. Good power, excellent accuracy, and a lot of fun to shoot. I would not go deer hunting with it, but for plinking its a lot of fun.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a replica Remington Old Army in .44cal. I shoot .451 soft lead roundballs over 20gr Goex 3F. Mild recoil, accuracy is so-so (I can keep six shots inside an 8" paper plate at 15 yards consistantly), but its fun to shoot. I would never consider it for hunting of any sort. Just make sure you put some bore butter or crisco over each chamber to prevent flashover and chain firing.

Mike

Old 02-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Dominant Buck

this revolver of mine will do some impressive shooting and seems to have good power. Actually the APP 3f is a great powder for these revolvers because it makes it easy to clean and to maintain on the range.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shot most of them in competition, for revolvers the Ruger black powder gets my vote, for single shot it would be between the 10Ring and the Patriot. Lee
Old 02-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

I have the Pietta 1858 Remington target in 44.I can shoot it better then the S&W 686 I had. My most accurate pistol is my LePage single shot with aset trigger
Old 02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Rock Fish, I've always admired the Pedersoli Le Page pistol buthave only seen the pictures.They are beautiful guns. What caliber do you have? What load do you shoot and what kind of accuracy do you get?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Hey Rock Fish, I've always admired the Pedersoli Le Page pistol buthave only seen the pictures.They are beautiful guns. What caliber do you have? What load do you shoot and what kind of accuracy do you get?
I used 20 grains of 3f with a .440 ball and .10 patch. It would group under 2" at 25 yards from a rest. I just can't shoot pistols offhand very well. Its not the one by Pedersoli.I checked the rate of twist and it appears to be 1-18" which I believe is the same as Pedersoli model. I have rust brown the barrel, I didn't care for the barrel in the white. My only complaint is the grip is made for large hands.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I often thought about getting one but for me, just for shooting a BP pistol I think I would prefer a traditional percussion cap pistol over the revolver. To me it seems more of a hassle to load those 6 (5) cylinders, grease them, cap.
Now for realistic cowboy shooting I think they would be great. Especially if you had an extra cylinder or two.
With the cap and ball rev. I'd probably spend more time loading than actual shooting.
They are neat though.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:08 AM
Fork Horn

That was some good info guy's

Cay, why wouldn't you hunt with one, (not that I'm planning on it anyway) I guess I've never thought about this before, but I wonder what the Ft/sec and F/Lbs is on a 44 0r 45 cal pistol.

Quick Reply: Does anyone shoot ball/cap revolvers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.