Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Does anyone shoot ball/cap revolvers?

Old 02-26-2009, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does anyone shoot ball/cap revolvers?

Space in the cylinder is limited so you can only get about depending on what caliber and which model we are talking about. I have hunted with my Ruger and my Patriot but use the bullet in the Ruger to get the energy level up, the Patriot will shoot 60 gr accurately and I consider that enough for a carefully placed shot at 40 yds on deer. Lee
Old 02-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know about other places, but it isillegalto huntwith BP handguns for deer in Va. Don't knowabout small game though. I personall would use my Crocket squirrely gun for small game. Handguns don't haveenoughumph for big game!!!

I own and shoot an 1858 Remmie in .44 cal. It is a shooter and I have had a lot of fun with it. I an toying with the idea of joining a unit with the N-SSA and would use it for handgun competition. This is a photo of my gun:

Old 02-27-2009, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haVE a 1858 REM, I don't shoot it that much as it is such a pain to clean. But it is fun.

It shoots pretty bad with balls, but is very accurate with ball-ets. I have finished a couple people's deer with it -- typicaly results for a pistol, pass-thrus with chest shots at close range but very little in the way of shock/tissue damage outside the immediate wound channel.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Ft/sec and F/Lbs is on a 44 0r 45 cal pistol.
A Remington 1858 in .44 cal shoots a 141 grain lead ball at 600-900 fps, sorta kinda. That puts the muzzle energy at 109 - 258 ft.lbs.
On the other hand, a Walker Colt will shoot that 141 grain bullet at 1200 fps and give you over 450 ft.lbs. of ME.
Pete
Old 02-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Pete, I would not have thought a walker would put out that much.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

So for a quick sum up of the Ruger Black Powderdata:

35 gr 777 and a 147 round ball
951 fps average

40 gr 777 and a 147 round ball
1111 fps average

45 gr 777 and a 147 round ball
1192.5 fps average

25 grs 777 and a 225 gr Lee conical
767.4 fps average

30 grs 777 and a 225 gr Lee conical
918.5 fps average

Are these loads safe. I am not sure if they are or not. I found them safe in my gun.
The RugerRevolvers are normally considered safe with any black powder load that will fit and black powder substitutes are supposed to give the same pressure as an equal amount of black powder.
My transducers won't fit on pistols so I have no idea of what pressures may be.
There really is no doubt that the walker and the Rugar Black powder are among the most powerful of the black powder revolvers the only other in that categorie is the confederate pistol that had a 9 shot cylinder with a shot gun barrel out of the center [cant remember the name at the moment, but always wanted to check one out]
I have had the walker and still have and shoot the Ruger Black Powder, the Ruger is a stronger built gun and is considerably more accurate at least the ones I have had. If one wanted to there is a cylinder available for the Ruger that shoots 45 long colt cartridges[ not my thing] >
What ever you get they are loads of fun, and legal under certain limitations for huntingin AR [they call it the natural state] but I call it the common sense state, the laws here show much more commonsense than any place else I have lived. It has taken a boar at 15 yds with the 225gr conical in the neck it was a bang flop. It was one of those unexpected opertunities while working on the hunting place I own.
Lee
Old 02-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

In Maryland, muzzle loading handguns are legal. Both single shot and revolvers may be used to hunt deer in all counties. Muzzleloading handguns used for deer and bear hunting must be at least .40 caliber with a barrel lenth of at least 6" and use not less than 40 grains of black powder or black powder equivalent and propel one bullet or ball. And you can hunt forest game with a muzzle loading handgun.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm personally hooked on the stainless steel Ruger Old Army with 7.5" barrel and adjustable sights. It's VERY accurate, bombproof, and cleans up easy with Jim Shockey Gold in FFF grain. if you can get conical bullet molds, it raises up the bar power wise to where you can shoot wild boar with it at close range-I KNOW this because I HAVE done it.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

Anybody know what this baby could do on the FPS and FootPounds ???, 44cal and 12 inches of barrel

1858 Buffalo Stainless Steel .44 Caliber Revolver

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...20817&rid=