Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Calling all ballistic guru's!!!!--What yardage to sight my Omega scope in at???

Old 02-23-2009, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Calling all ballistic guru's!!!!--What yardage to sight my Omega scope in at???

The ballistic calculator from Hornady is easy to use if you know your BC and your muzzle velocity. If you don't have a chrono, you can mess around with it and work backwards with the drop you are seeing at the range for various distances. Plug in different velocities and see which velocity matches the drop you are seeing.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Calling all ballistic guru's!!!!--What yardage to sight my Omega scope in at???

I have to say, some of the numbers posted here caught me off gaurd a bit.
110 gr of T-7 pushing muzzle velocity at 1914fps
150gr of pyro pellets pushing muzzle velocity at 2370fps
These are numbers that rival smokeless loads.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BIG.PAUL

These guys are right there is no energy left in a bullet fired from a ML at 300 yards, The chances a person could make that shot at 300 yards are slim to NONE! IMO it is unethical to shot out that far, just because you can do it on the range does not mean it can be done at a live animal. It is people that do stuff like that, and take shots like that, that are the ones giving everyone else a bad name!
Interesting...for having a "slim to NONE!" chance at 300 yards I have yet not to make a bang-flop at 300+ yards. The right loads certainly do have enough energy to do the job, I have had nothing but pass-thrus on broadsides at those ranges.

Never judge people and call them unethical based on your own personal limitations and experience. Others may be have a better setup, better skills, and/or more range time practicing those shots than you. Certainly it's not something the average shooter should be attempting but not everyone is the average shooter...

300 yards, 325gr .458 Hornady FTX 130gr 777
Group not on center as first time ever firing this load at this range (see 3 horizontally-spread .45 holes, .40 hole and one near center are not in the group)
Conditions: Ridiculous wind from side varying ~5-20mph, far above what I'd shoot at game in.
Result: 3/4in vertical spread, only 6in horizontal spread despite bad conditions

Would you shoot at a deer knowing you were in conditions that would result in a 6 inch group? (I'm sure many would).I wouldn't, which is why I wouldn't shoot one at 300 yards in such bad wind, but in calmer conditions that horizontal spread would go away and.....

I don't tell people what range they should shoot, I only point out how much work it is to dolonger rangesright. If they want to put in the time/effort/money to do it ethically, that is their concern.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

Spaniel,
I wasn't judging anyone on my own skill or limitations. But I'm not afraid to through the bullsh*t flag we I see it!
I have hunted for over 30 years and to ever put yourself in a position to have to shoot that far with a muzleloader is unethical.
That is just plain lazy if most of the bow world came get within 40 yards surely a muzzleloader hunter could get himself closer than 300yards
Old 02-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

While the longest shot I have taken on a deer was 188yds I like to be ready just in case.
I shoot a Triumph wit an Omega Nikon on it and my accuracy load is 120 gr Blackhorn, last year I sighted it 3 inches high at 100yds and it was dead on at 165 and 4 inches low at 200. This year I tore it down to polish some surfaces on the mechanism so I sighted it in like they tell us to just to see what it would do after "o" at 100 yds I took 3 shoots at a 10inch gong we have at 240 yds an using the 250 mark I hit it all 3 times, so I may leave it sighted that way and do some more shooting before long. Lee
Old 02-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

While the longest shot I have taken on a deer was 188yds I like to be ready just in case.
I shoot a Triumph with an Omega Nikon on it and my accuracy load is 120 gr Blackhorn and a 250gr SW, last year I sighted it 3 inches high at 100yds and it was dead on at 165 and 4 inches low at 200. This year I tore it down to polish some surfaces on the mechanism so I sighted it in like they tell us to just to see what it would do after "o" at 100 yds I took 3 shoots at a 10inch gong we have at 240 yds an using the 250 mark I hit it all 3 times, so I may leave it sighted that way and do some more shooting before long. Lee
Old 02-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, didn't know I would start WW3...just wanted some help on my scope sight-in and what loads would work best. Thanks guys. I may go to hornadys site and play around with that calculator. Does 777 pellets yield higher velocities as far as the powder pellets go?--DrASUS
Old 02-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fusion

I have to say, some of the numbers posted here caught me off gaurd a bit.
110 gr of T-7 pushing muzzle velocity at 1914fps
150gr of pyro pellets pushing muzzle velocity at 2370fps
These are numbers that rival smokeless loads.
The 1914 in my post are a three shot average 10 feet from the muzzle. The numbers were also checked at 100 yd over a chronograph. Personally, I would not take a 300 yd shot on an animal. I would not take a 200 yd shot without a solid rest nor a 100 for that matter. The numbers hold up fps/fpe wise to 100 yds and the drop is accurate to 200 yds which is as far as I have shot my rifle.

I think a 300 yd homework project is in the making this spring once the 8 feet of snow melts.[:@]Just for poops and giggles. Not recomended for huntin'.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

That is what I was saying,

I was not calling DR A an unethical hunter, I said it is not ethical to shoot that far at an animal. I am not claiming to be the authority on what a person should be aloud to do while hunting. What I am saying is "we" as hunters get enough heat from the anti hunting groups out there that we don't need to give them fuel for their fires.

I love a good challange, like trying to shoot out to 300 yards, but I reserve that for the range. If I wound a piece of paper it does not reflect on the rest of the hunting community.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BIG.PAUL

That is what I was saying,

I was not calling DR A an unethical hunter, I said it is not ethical to shoot that far at an animal. I am not claiming to be the authority on what a person should be aloud to do while hunting. What I am saying is "we" as hunters get enough heat from the anti hunting groups out there that we don't need to give them fuel for their fires.

I love a good challange, like trying to shoot out to 300 yards, but I reserve that for the range. If I wound a piece of paper it does not reflect on the rest of the hunting community.
Have you ever wounded a deer at less than 150 yards? I have never had anything but a one-shot kill at 250yds and further. If you HAVE wounded a deer at 150yds, who is less ethical? You who has wounded one at shorter range or me who has had nothing but perfect results at longer ranges? This is why I say take range out of it.

As for claiming laziness, that's a nice cop-out on your part. What do you know about the situations other people hunt in? Have you ever hunted a 100 acre open field as the only property you had permission on? You're listed in Colorado, what do you know about midwest prairie hunting conditions? Have you ever hunted a state/property where achieving maximum population control or filling freezers in limited hunting time is more important than patting yourself on the back for making it "challenging"?

Two seasons ago I army crawled a quarter mile across a field to make two perfect 180-200yd shots. Is that lazy? I would argue making a 40yd shot out of a nice comfy blind is lazier.

You're setting up a straw man to tear down here because you state a position as fact which is really nothing more than one man's opinion. There is nothing inherently unethical about a specific range, only the results you can achieve there. I know plenty of guys missing and wounding deer under 100 yards, why should anyone making great shots further out feel bad?For someone who curses at people in PMs you certainly have strong opinions on what is right and wrong.

Quick Reply: Calling all ballistic guru's!!!!--What yardage to sight my Omega scope in at???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.