Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flintlocks and hunting blinds

Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Flintlocks and hunting blinds

Greetings all. I was wondering, is it safe to use a flintlock within a blind? I am talking about a portable blind made of polyester. I don't have a problem with it filling with smoke, I am more concerned about a fire hazard.

Thanks,
~Robert
Old 02-19-2009, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Flintlocks and hunting blinds

I have one with shoot thru windows,but if you read the directions carefully it says not to shoot a gun thru it.
I have shot a shotgun thru the screened windows and they do burn.You just got to be carefull.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Dominant Buck

The problem with a blind is while you might get the muzzle out the window (which I have done) on a flintlock the vent hole sends out a stream of spark.

Perhaps if you put a chunk of old wool blanket and clothes or safetypinned it to the inside wall. Wool does not burn and should absorb the spark. Plus if it don't you have something to beat the flames out with..

Some of them blinds are pretty narrow. I never shot a flintlock off inside a blind.. sounds like an experience. Perhaps try a shot or two first out of one, with the escape hatch open.. and some items inside for fire control...
Old 02-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think it will cause any problems...I give talks to the local schools on the American Revolution and demonstrate how to start a fire with flint and steel...One thing Idemonstrate ishow cotton or poly will not catch on fire by throwing sparks on the sleeve of a volunteer...You have to have char to hold the spark and get a fire made...

As Cay mentioned, you could try before actually hunting, even use a blank load, but it would suprise me if you had any problems...
Old 02-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I do know a person that hollowed out a big bale of hay as a blind, and set that on fire with a muzzleloader...
Old 02-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

window.google_render_ad();

I do know a person that hollowed out a big bale of hay as a blind, and set that on fire with a muzzleloader...
Wow, I bet that was exciting for some poor soul!

OK, I will give it a few practice runs, especially with a ready exit and something to put out a fire if one should start. Guess I am glad to hear no one said "absolutely do not do this..."

Will report back with results. Thanks for the comments.

~Robert
Old 02-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Tried it once and no harm done but maybe I just got lucky? You will nearly choke on the smoke.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I heard that guy had to start looking for a new farm to hunt on! [&:]
Old 02-20-2009, 03:01 AM

I have an elevated stand/blind made of wood. It was loud and definitely shook the rails when I shot. I had it rested on the bottom rail and it did scorch the wood some. No Biggy. I have tried to shoot it out of my chair blind. Thought I was gonna suffocate as the fire and smoke blew out the side onto the tent and rocked it pretty good as wellas the wind blew the smoke back into the tent from the front of the dang gun.My buddies had a good laugh!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will nearly choke on the smoke.
Good thing "I love the smell of Goex in the morning..."

Quick Reply: Flintlocks and hunting blinds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.