Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flintlocks and hunting blinds

Old 02-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Flintlocks and hunting blinds

It was my buddy's farm. I about cried laughing watching this 6'8" 300+ pound farmer out there jumping around, cussing, andslapping the hay with is hat. So I ran over there and mentioned the snow on the ground... We then piled snow all over the top of the hay, and he did later shoot a young doe at about 30 yards with no cooking fire.

Actually a hay bale is nice to hunt from. They are warm, comfortable, and its basically a bench rest for when you have to shoot. I've done some long range busting out of them with modern rifles.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

When a flintlock fires, super heated gasses are expelled at high pressure from the vent hole. I once was shooting my 58 flintlock and placed my left hand flat against a wall. I then layed the rifle across my left forearm and fired. The vent was only 6-8 inches from the vent. The ending result was a badly burned hand and a permanent tatoo on the back side of my left hand where bits of powder blasted through my skin. Looked like I had been shot with #6 shot. There is no doubt in my mind that it can andwill ignite any combustable material.

Another thing to seriously think about is thatany bystander standing too close to the vent side of the rifle can be badly injuried.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I seen a guy set his own flannel shirt on fire at a match and we some times use an empty one with only powder in the pan to start fires with. If there is anything around that will burn sooner or later you will set it on fire if it is in close quarters. Lee
Old 03-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

What the heck live on the edge, not many people can say they shot a deer and got a 2nd degree burn at the same time!
It's kinda like the redneck saying "here hold my beer and whatch this"
Old 03-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's kinda like the redneck saying "here hold my beer and whatch this"
HAH, that is awesome! All the more reason to do it I suppose

Mr. Flintlock: I've got one of those tattoos myself. I fired my flinter upside down while wearing short-sleeves. The pan was just a few inches from bare skin when I pulled the trigger...
Old 03-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

My Hunting buddy was at the range with me the that I blasted my hand. I showed him my blackend and still bleading hand. He laughed. I told him that it was not that funny. He pointed at the wall and said,"Look at that wall." I looked and there was a big black spot on the wall with a perfect hand print in the middle of it.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that is some story! Hopefully you can laugh about it now...?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

I was able to laugh about it then. Me and this old boy have been chasing deer with muzzeloaders since the early 1970s. Neither of us has hunted with cartrige guns in many years. Weswitched over to flintlocks about 15 years ago.