Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best place to by bullet casting molds

Old 02-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best place to by bullet casting molds

Check out Bull Shop for good bullets. Very few off-the-shelf molds make suitable .50 caliber conicals. Probably the closest you could come would be Lyman's Great Plains mold. Any of Bull Shop's up to and including 500 grainers will be Co. legal.

http://home.mchsi.com/~rltsr/bullshop.jpg

I don't mean to discourage you from casting your own, but it won't take long casting to appreciate both the quality and convenience of Dan's bullets. My recommendation would be his 460 grain MT NEx sized for your bore.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:37 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BIG.PAUL

Semi, what I'm looking for is a accurate,HARD hitting bullet to take down an elk, deer, bear,or mother-in-law, you know a good all around bullet.
As I'm sure you know here in Co. we can't use sabots

I know you asked Semi,

Conicles should be cast of pure lead, A good friend of the family has harvested 2 (two) Elk in Colorado with my cast pure Lead 370 gr 50 cal Maxi Balls lubed with white Crisco, I believe it is a old TC mold , using a Traditions bolt rifle, open sights and 90gr of T7. Both had complete pass threw the lungs/ribs, a 5x5 and a great 6x6 shots at 60 yards and 30 yards, broad side.

Ken
CNY

Old 02-19-2009, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

Thats screwbolts that happens to be one of the molds I have. I'm going to Texas on hog hunt soon that will be a good test on my home brewed bullets
Old 02-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

The Big Maxi will Harvest any game when put in the right place, It will/can destroy allot of meat also. My youngest brother took a nice 9 point here in NY 2 years ago with one that traveled from the left rear hip to out the right front shoulder. Yes it was a Bang flop. the Shot was @ 120 yards, deer was trotting quartering away in an open field behind him. he was using a blind made of old tractor tires stacked up. Charge was 120 gr. of American Pioneer ( IMHO, I think the stuff is garbage, most abrasive stuff ever). I burned the last 1/2 pound I had in my burn barrel. I was talking to a Swans man when it went WOOF you should have seen the mushroom cloud

If you are interested In trying a 250 gr. and a 320 grain Lee REAL bullet? I would make you a deal on 2 molds both double cavity. PM me if your interested

I have gone to shooting BH209 and Smokeless out of approved rifles so I have drifted over to the sabot world. using a 330gr. smooth sided LFN cast hard. We get 4" to 5" groups at 300 yards, and 1.75" groups at 175 yards with them out of ML10IIs