Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Medium or High rings?

Old 02-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Medium or High rings?

Purchased a Nikon Omega scope for my T/C Omega.Iam going to use Warne Maxima one piece base and warne rings, not the quick disconnect. Should i go with medium or high rings with this setup? Thanks.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Medium or High rings?

It depends on your shooting situations. If you want to use the scope only (and no open sights) then go with the low base. Some say you get better accuracy out of a scope mounted as close to the barrel as possible. If you want to use both open sights and a scope, then go with the high or see-thru mounts. But again, some high or see-thru mounts touch the rear sight and it has to be removed anyway. So I guess whatever works best for you, use it. I prefer the see-thru as I hunt in a-lot of snowy weather, and sometimes it's snowing so hard, it's hard to keep the scope clean, so if needed I have the open sights to back me up. And being taller than most, 6'6", the high base or see-thru's work better for me with eye alignment. Good Luck. BP
Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

I installed high rings on my Encore and still had to remove the rear sight. The front bell is larger then it appears and the scope is short with limited placement.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I put high rings on mine, there is little enough room to get on the hammer quick or prime in a hurry with high rings I wish I had extra high now. Lee
Old 02-17-2009, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm kind of in the same situation with my Endeavor. I'm getting ready to pick up some Warne base and rings and was wondering which rings I should get. I may just get the high and the extra high and sell whichever ones I don't use.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

I'm kind of in the same situation with my Endeavor. I'm getting ready to pick up some Warne base and rings and was wondering which rings I should get. I may just get the high and the extra high and sell whichever ones I don't use.

I have the weaver rail and see thru rings,and a 2 piece medium for my
pro hunter both work fine.I did not have to take the sight off.If that helps any,but the omega scope is shorter than mine.(I thought you said that is what you are going to use in a different post)
Old 02-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hunting junkie

I have the weaver rail and see thru rings,and a 2 piece medium for my
pro hunter both work fine.I did not have to take the sight off.If that helps any,but the omega scope is shorter than mine.(I thought you said that is what you are going to use in a different post)
I did. I just ordered the Warne weaver style base and Warne 1" weaver style high rings. Hopefully they fit how I want them to. I plan on removing the rear sight anyway and will plug the holes with stainless steel slave screws.