Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BH209, Montana X-treme CS, Hoppe's #9...help!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: BH209, Montana X-treme CS, Hoppe's #9...help!

In my very limited experience shooting Blackhorn there was no doubt in my mind that it heated the barrel more quickly than any other powder. I noticed the warm barrelafter the third shot, something that's never happened with others. I was wiping the BH with one patch, just like I do with T7.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Lee

you suppose that[the hot barrel]is because you can shoot 3 or four times with BH while the guy next to you is trying to get the crud ring out?
Ifn you ever get to North Idaho, bring a gun and lets go shooting.... Honestly Lee I shoot at the same rate with T7 as I do with BH. I do not have the patience to wait as long between shots as I am suppose to. I shoot walk back to the truck (10')- patch - measure - assemble - push it down the bore - prime - walk back and shoot again. Theonly thing that changes is no patch with BH, but that is less than a 5 second activity.

Recently in a shooting expediton @ the farm I shot 15 shots? with T7 and I think I only ran a patch 2 times and that was a dry patch. I posted it on here someplace.

I know when I do shoot BH - each time I have noticed the barrel heats quicker and gets hotter and stays hotter longer.... which - who cares if you are hunting - one shot and your are done anyway- it is not big deal. and if you are at the range on a warm day I guess you couldbring a book to read if the barrel heat becomesa problem.
I realize that the situation is very similer with both powders for you, I some times wonder why it wont work that way for me. I often wonder what the differance is and how many people have the same problem I do.
I can never load a second shot with 777 I have to scrub the crud ring out very carefully or I end uo with the ramrod stuck. The sadest part of that is it shot very accurate, of course I never had a barrel heating problem it was always cool by the time I got it scrubed out. Lee
Old 02-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

I know that MLKeith in Arizona has the same problem you describe with his Omega... I really wish I knew the answer also.

mike
Old 02-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Semisane

In my very limited experience shooting Blackhorn there was no doubt in my mind that it heated the barrel more quickly than any other powder. I noticed the warm barrelafter the third shot, something that's never happened with others. I was wiping the BH with one patch, just like I do with T7.
I sorta agree with Semisane (does that make me Insemisane?). I think BH209 is more efficeint then black powder or pyrodex.. I feel if it's loaded with the correct pressure ,consumption of the powder takes place in just a fraction of barrel lenth required for black or pyrodex or possibly T7. Therefore the back section would heat quicker with BH209 just as shooting a highpower rifle such as a 30.06.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rock Fish

It is my understanding that BH is a smokeless - progressive burning powder. It does burn longer in and up the barrel than any of the BP's or T7. You can kinda see it in the it's performance. The powder is a lot more efficient with heavier projectiles than light one + the sabots have to seal the barrel pressure to maintain pressure.

If you look at one of my examples of this I was shooting 120 grains of BH pushing a .458/300 grain bullet and sabot from my Rem 700ML and achieving on average 1950 feet per-second with a 300 grain bullet. I think I might even have achieved a bit more velocity but as most know the Rem 700ML has a leaky BP and nipple - so i was losing some pressure there.

Just my thought...