Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

More on Montana X-treme

Old 02-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: More on Montana X-treme

I think this is a good product. I am pleased with some of the results I had. I had treated my Knight Disc a while back. And actually that rifle was not dirty, the Montana Patches were light gray for the first and then clean. So today, I shot the rifle using Pyrodex RS pellets.

When I went to clean the rifle, I used Simple Green on a patch to take the major fouling out of the barrel. After two patches of that, I used a Montana X-treme Cowboy Solvent patch. It brought up a little more fouling. Then I dipped a brush in the solvent and scrubbed the bore. The next patch of Montana X-treme CS ... the patch was terrible.

I am starting to wonder if a lot of this black crud is coming off the brush, the range rod, and of course the barrel. But the first patch of CS was not all that bad until I brushed it. It took about four more solvent patches and then it was clean. So I ran some BC through it. That barrel shines like the day I got it. Really nice.

Also in the range the first three shots were all in a group for a change with this rifle. It normally threw the first one about an inch out. But this time is plugged them right in there. BUT.. it changed its POI. Now has the QR scope mounts shifts.. or what. It is not a lot mind you. Still I was shooting at 50 yards, and it was maybe an inch to the side. If you think of a clock its supposed to be hitting just outside a one inch bull at 12 o'clock, but instead it is at 11 o'clock.

I started with the center bull and that's 200 grain Shockwaves with two pellets. I think there are three or four hits there. I shot the rest of the box off I know.

Then I went to the lower left bull. I was shooting two pellets and 250 grain Barnes Expanders. That one in the bull is my fault. I shifted my POA to see if the scope was really that much on. And it is.

Then for kick (and I do mean kicks) I loaded three pellets and shot 250 barnes Expanders at the lower right bull. I was out of pellets now. Boy they go fast. But with 150 grains it did pretty good I thought.

Then I had some 405 grain Remington FP and orange sabot in the box, so I was loading 90 grains of Triple Seven and shooting them without swabbing at the upper left bull.

It was really windy and cold out there today, but I wanted to shoot and that's all that matters.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I am starting to wonder if a lot of this black crud is coming off the brush, the range rod, and of course the barrel.
I am 99% sure that the black is the result of rubbing the bore metal with a metal (bronze or brass) bore brush - weather the barrel is clean or not.

When you rub brass or bronze on about anything you wear away some of the softer metal and it tarnishes... everytime you push a rather tight brush down the bore you are wearing away metal from the brush... Add a little moisture on a patch and you are going to get a darkened patch.

Just my thoughts....
Old 02-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave - I agree with Sabotloader. The directions on the CS bottle say to use a nylon brush. I just ordered a bunch of different cal. nylon brushes from Graf & Sons. Actually that is where I got my MX stuff. They were the cheapest place when you added in the shipping charges.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Dominant Buck

That might explain why I get a black patch and others find little fouling. All I have is brass. I bought out Wal Mart when they had them on their year end. A dollar each...

At least you might have solved that question for me. Because until I use that brass brush the patches are clean. And once I stop they come clean real fast.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

yall

OK - I called my local friendly gun shop and had him order 2 bottles of MX-Cowboy for me... can not stand the suspense to see if it works better than Butches or Barnes CR-10 that I normally use....

Old 02-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually Sabotloader, I guess I should have told you directly instead of letting you try to "read between the lines". With my MLs I said I use the hot soapy water wash and clean hot water rinse, dry, Butch's Bore Shine, dry, bore butter.
When I poured the clear hot water and dry patches through this morning to remove the bore butter and then ran a patch of CS down the bore, it came out clean. (I got the same result with my 45 cal barrel with about 30 rounds though it as I did with my older GM barrel with hundreds of rounds through it.)
Also my friend who normally uses Break Free CLP also ran the CS down his centerfire bores and it came out clean.
So in theory, both the Butch's Bore Shine and the Break Free CLP are just as effective as the MX Cowboy Solvent. (Maybe moreso cause I believe the CLP will also remove copper.)

Old 02-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

bronko22000

Ya! kinda what I thought but I am always late to the party so I thought i would try anyway...

I do not use CPL in the bore because of the PFTE that is in it. I usually use a synthetic oil called Slip 2000

Just my thoughts - it is great for everything else though.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I do not use CPL in the bore because of the PFTE that is in it. I usually use a synthetic oil called Slip 2000
Alright Sabotloader.. what is the PFTE? I use CLP for a lot of things. But I do not normally protect the bore with it.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Sorry Dave, PTFE is 'Teflon' and I really try to avoid Teflon in the bore... When you burn Teflon and oil together they produce an acid - can not remember which one for sure - but it will work on metal. It is also believed to be linked to loss of accuracy as it builds up in the barrel. That is one of the things that got my attention about MX products - they all clearly state no PTFE's

I read an article a while back (couple of years ago)that explained it all but now I can not find it at all now. Then talking to bench shooters at a competition in CDL they talked about keeping teflon out of theirtarget barrels... Now I realize our hunting barrels are not longrange target barrels and we are not making money with them shooting paper - but I just try to avoid it in the bore.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave - just for fun today, I was bored so I decided to scrub out my Lyman GPH. I swabbed the bore with alcohol to get the BB out the a couple patches of Butch's and dried it. I ran some MX CS down the bore and let it sit a min or two and ran a dry patch down. Got some discoloration on the patch but nothing major. I wet another patch and swabbed the bore. I then ran a brand new bronze brush down the bore about 5 times. When I ran a dry patch down, it came out black. I kept dry patching until it came out clean then repeated with andother CS patch and the brush. Again it came out black. I called MX and Shane told me it shouldn't be coming from the brush. But it could be.
The reason that MX recommends nylon brushes is that some of the solvents react to the brass and bronze brushes. But he didn't think the CS did.
I am going to repeat this again when my nylon brushes come in.

Quick Reply: More on Montana X-treme

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.