Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

DOH - forgot the powder charge!

Old 02-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Spike

Default DOH - forgot the powder charge!

.50cal cabelas hawken percussion @ 50yds, .50cal hornady roundball, t/c prelube .015 patch, 60gr pyrodex rs. after about 10 shots, i was satisfied with sighting in the rifle.

with a few mins of range time left - i lost my rhythm trying to rush that last shot, i forgot to pour the powder charge! i tried that trick of powdering the nipple & the co2 bullet discharger (neither worked). it was a bear to wrestle with but i was lucky enough to yank the prb out using the puller.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: DOH - forgot the power charge!

Looks like that gun is shooting real good.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

ginoe - Because I shoot flinters as well as perc., I have a couple pan primers in my shooting box filled with FFFFg. If I forget to charge (and it happens to all of us), I remove the nipple and fill the snail, tap the powder into the breech, repeat, reinstall the nipple and fire it off. About 15 grs is all you need to push out the PRB.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:34 AM
Dominant Buck

As if I never had a dry hole... It happens and it sure makes you slow down all of a sudden.

That is some excellent shooting there with that rifle. That rifle is going to be a good one.

I have a friend that shoots a Cabela's Hawkins in .54 and that rifle is his favorite hunting rifle he claims. He says it brings him luck. BUT he's one of them that could fish a mud puddle and catch his limit.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

i tried that trick of powdering the nipple
I've beenon the Dryball Express so many times that I've lostcountGinoe. Welcome aboard. When you say you "powdered the nipple", did you remove the nipple and sift some powder down into the chamber under the nipple, or put powder into the nipple itself? The first method almost always works - the second seldom does.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get a cleaning jag, drill and thread the middle of the jag and get you some of those screws with machine threads on one end and wood threads on the other...You can buy them from bp gun stores, but I always just buy them from Lowes Hardware...I think they are #10 so that's what you thread the jag with...Anyway, thejag helpskeep thepuller in the centerof the ball and it becomes quite easy to pull a ball...
Old 02-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

Join the club. I will happen again.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was shooting the other day from the deck,the dining room table is right at the back door.Loaded so
i thought,pointed the barrel at the floor to walk out there went all the powder all over the dining room floor.
Good thing my wife was at her mothers.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Spike

lol, well - it happened again today. there was a real doll that showed up at the range & i lost all my concentration watching her instead of what i was doing.

anyways, i tried the 'powdered nipple trick' again but this time but i did it a little different. last time i used the pyrodex rs that i had all crushed up into a fine powder, this time i used the regular grain. i removed the nipple, put in as much powder down the hole & put the nipple back on. then i primed the nipple again with the finely crushed pyrodex rs but used a magnum 11 cap (not a regular 11 cap as last time). boy, was i happy to see the ball & patch pop out the muzzle.

i will have to admit, i did sneak a few more looks at the gal but made sure i had the powder horn in my hand this time.

yes, this rifle can shoot if i do my part. i wished i saved the target where i got a one ragged hole with 5 rounds.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

i will have to admit, i did sneak a few more looks at the gal but made sure i had the powder horn in my hand this time.
Powder horn, huh? Is that what you call it?