Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do you use loc-tite

Old 02-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you use loc-tite

I went to the range today to test the cabels 250 bdc retical.Shot once at 50 yards set the scope shot again i'mgood.Over to the hundred yard 0 on that then off to the 200 yard range, so i thought.I could not get the scope close and when i did,dirt next time.After about 20 shots i admitted
to my self you dummy you bought a cheaper scope.Now i have to go home
and wright a report to the guys and eat a little crow.

First let me tell you i was shooting 300 grain shockwaves with 150 grains of loosepowder.This load shook me, let alone the gun,i knew the forearm was getting loose,thats how i didn't notice nothing else.So when i was leaving i picked the gun up by the scope and thats when i felt it, the rail came loose.So blowing the day i came home took off the see thru rings,weaver rail and put on a two piece that came with the scope.

Went out the back door shot 5 times was happy.Now do you guys use
loc-tite on your mounts, or is this something i should just check off as a
you didn't do it right the first time?

Old 02-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Do you use loc-tite

I used Loc-Tite for years and it worked fine. For the last few scopes I've mounted I just made sure the screws and holes were fully degreased and used a tiny dab of some of my wife's fingernail polish because I didn't have any Loc-Tite around. That has worked fine. The 3x9 Leupold on my Mustang was mounted over two years ago with fingernail polish and hasn't moved in over 1000 rounds, some of them pretty stout.

EDIT: Changed 100 rounds to 1000 rounds.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

I used Loc-Tite for years and it worked fine. For the last few scopes I've mounted I just made sure the screws and holes were fully degreased and used a tiny dab of some of my wife's fingernail polish because I didn't have any Loc-Tite around. That has worked fine. The 3x9 Leupold on my Mustang was mounted over two years ago with fingernail polish and hasn't moved in over 100 rounds, some of them pretty stout.

Any special color?
Old 02-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

I stole a bottle of my wife's clear nail polish 20yrs ago and have been using it ever since ( I think I read about it somewhere). Mount all by bases& rings with it. It's a bit softer than Loc-Tite, I believe, but holds just as well with the added benifit of being able to easily loosen the screws and remove the base if you wish.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Dominant Buck

My gunsmith friend was mounting a scope I bought once and I noticed he was not using lock tite. I mentioned that to him and he said if you de-grease the bolt holes, and bolts, there is no need for it. He said that more then often when you change your mind and want to remove the scope, that's when you really wish you were not using it. As he explained,he said if the scope is mounted properly, there is no need for it.

So the ones I mount, I have not used it. I have it, just not used it.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

My gunsmith friend was mounting a scope I bought once and I noticed he was not using lock tite. I mentioned that to him and he said if you de-grease the bolt holes, and bolts, there is no need for it. He said that more then often when you change your mind and want to remove the scope, that's when you really wish you were not using it. As he explained,he said if the scope is mounted properly, there is no need for it.

So the ones I mount, I have not used it. I have it, just not used it.

I believe that is true...it's really not needed. I think I (and a lot of others) just overdo it!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

There was a pretty good amount of oil under the rail,and they was flat head screwdriver screws.Which i did
not like to start with. The new ones i put on are the hex screws.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

hunting junkie

I still use loc-tite, just an old habit - hard to break I guess. For scopes and things that I might want to take apart again - I use 'blue' for things I want to stay locked i will use 'red'
Old 02-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use it on my bases, but not on my rings. I've just always used it.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I degrease and use finger nail polish as well...

Quick Reply: Do you use loc-tite

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.