Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Foot Pounds of Energy Question

Old 02-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Foot Pounds of Energy Question

I was going to get my Wife a 45Cal Accura, but talked her out of it. She only usually get's to hunt ML Season mabey 2 days so I figured my CVA Kodiak Pro would now become her ML. In the past I guess I hurt the wife just a little too much with the 150gr's of pyrodox.
I usually just let her use one of my already sighted in ML's and that's what I had them sighted in for, I know Im mean! But what kind of a load (loose powder) Tf2f can I get by with and still have enough FPE to harvest a Deer Cleanly say out to 80-100yds? I kind of want to stay with a Hornaday .45Cal 240Gr XTP Mag for the bullet.
I would like to have at least 1000 FPE @ 100yds. She recently had surgery on her wrist (and no not from the 150Gr's either) and she's kind of leary shooting and wants a lesser but deadly load. Any suggestions? I will consider a different bullet, but would like to keep em XTP's.
Also, is there a fromula to determine Bullet weight & Powder Vs Different Yds.= FPE???? BP
Old 02-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Foot Pounds of Energy Question

I ment T72f for the loose powder used. BP
Old 02-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Dominant Buck

You could always load 80 grains and a powerbelt. The recoil with 80 grains would be light, and it would have a lot of energy. You might want to limit the range, but it would be an easy load for a CVA.

If you wanted to shoot an XTP try a .430 grain and go to a 300 grain. The recoil should not be too bad and the accuracy should be exceptional. Then there is alway the 200 grain Shockwave. Also I would forget the .45 caliber and go to a .50 caliber but that is just me.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well Breechplug, I plugged a .452/240 grain XTP into a ballistic calculator and played with velocity until I got 900+ FPE at 100 yards. It took 1700 fps to get there. Here's the chart.

100 grains of T7 FFG should get you there with no trouble.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, I WAS going to get her a 45Cal, but decided NOT too as I have so much 50Cal stuff and no 45 stuff. I really wanted to stay away from Powerbelts as I have heard too many horror stories about them not doing there job and losing deer. Seems funny comming from a Pro CVA Shooter huh.
I just looked at something, they used a CVA ACCURA and 100Gr's of Pyrodox Pellets, bullet was a 295Gr Powerbelt Aero Tip, the FPE at 100 yds was only 966FPE. Is that enough FPE? I always thought you need at least 1000FPE. So than you gain FPE as you go up in bullet weight and lessen FPE when you drop powder weight, right? So the lower powder I use I'd have to go up in bullet weight to get the proper FPE? BP
Old 02-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

IF Hornady's BC for that bullet is anywhere near accurate and, IF Hodgdon's published data is anywhere near accurate, annd IF Pointblank Ballistics is anywhere near accurate...

90 grains by volume of FFg T7 behind that 240 grain bullet should yield well over 1100 fpe at 100 yards and almost 1000 fpe at 150 yards.

Stop punishing that woman!!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Semi! that should do it and boy were you some help. Most of her shots are close 20-40yds, but she has been known to surprise me with a few shots out past 100. Them stats will put her right in the ball park where I want her to be. Where'd ya get that little gadget? good thing to have. BP
Old 02-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here's another chart to consider with a 300 grain XTP at 1500 fps. 80 grains of T7 FFG will get you 1500 fps easily.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's for the help to UC, I know I should'nt have done it to her, but she only ML Hunts a couple time a season, she uses a Shotgun for Shotgun Season and backs me up with a second shot if need be as I use the ML. Her armpit was black and blue for 2 weeks the last time she shot a Buck with the ML and can you believe it, she made me drag it out! BP
Old 02-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here's a link to the ballistic calculator I use. http://www.handloads.com/calc/

I got the bullet's ballistic coefficient (BC)from Hornady's product page. As Underclocked said, those published BCs are a big "if". But they are probably close enough to be useful for muzzle loader velocities and distances. If you play around with that chart and change the BC a few points one way or the other you will see what I mean.

Quick Reply: Foot Pounds of Energy Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.