Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally got to shoot the ACCURA today!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finally got to shoot the ACCURA today!

Well I finally got to shoot the ACCURA today, I chose the camo/ss and mounted it with a Bushnell (Dusk to Dawn 3-9X40) camo scope. I left the bk/ss with the Leupold Ultimate Slam ML Scope home as I did'nt want to mess with the (SABR) reticle and try to sight it in, I just wanted to shoot.
Forbullets I had Hornaday.452 45Cal 240Gr XTP Mags and .452 45Cal 300Gr XTP Mags. Powders used were 120gr FFG T7 and 150Gr Pryrodox Pellets. Primers were Winchester 209ML, Winchester 209T7 and Remington Kleen Bore. I have never fired this ML as it is brand new, the scope came off My CVA Kodiak Mag and was preveously sighted in with the 240Gr XTP's and 150Gr of Pyrodax Pellets. So I went with that load to be first shot as I hoped I'd be somewhere on target. Primer was the WinchesterKleen Bore.
The ACCURA was preveously treated with MX BC for over a week. My first shot was a little high left, so I adjusted the scope and used a (Glass-Pluss) patch to swab the bore, it was a little dirty. I shot again untill I was sighted in at 2" high at 50yds, it took 5 more shots to be dead on at 2" high and swabbed the bore between each shot and I started to feel a little resistance twords the breech,(possible crud ring) but the patch pushed through it with ease, the patches started to get a little dirty but still wer'nt bad at all. I shot 3 more times and all were touching 2"high at 50yds.
Then I shot at 100yds and with a few minor adjustments I was on and had a decent group and I was satisfied. Well it never got as warm as they said today and I was going to quit but my friend with his new TC Triumph was there and talked me into staying, Im glad I did. Why, because I tried some different primers with the same load, this time the Winchester T7's, and (had to adjust my scope) but then my groups got a little betterand I noticed less of a crud ring when patching between shots, so then I switched to the Winchester 209ML Primers and again I had to make minor adjustments to my scope and my groups seemed to get even better. I think the primers had a-lot to do with the accuracy of the load being used.I was ready to quit as I had to rethink the primer situation but my friend kept me there, he shot and I thought.
Well when I was ready to shoot again, I changed to the 300Gr XTP Mag's and stayed with 150 gr of Pyrodox. I shot and the shots were almost exactly in the same sopts as the 240gr XTP Mag's??? I thought they'd be lower but I could'nt tell the difference between them. I learned something though, Primers do make a difference in accuracy and in the crud ring. I shot better groups with the Winchester 209ML's next best was the Winchester 209 T7's, then the Winchester Kleen Bores, and I got less of a crud ring with the Winchester 209 ML's too. I only really felt somewhat of a crud ring with the T7's but hardly none at all with the Win 209 ML's.
Cleaning between shots was easy, and not as much fowling as I thought I would have. I did wet patch between every shot of the day. I never got to try the T7 2f powder, next time. But next time I can check where my first shot goes on the target using the MX BC.Then the test starts again with sighting in again the scope and using the T72f and different primers.
Has anyone else tried different primers and had results like mine. I just usually buy the primers from Wal-Mart and get what's there and stock up so I have 2 or 3 different kinds at all times.I pretty much assumed they were about the same, but was I wrong! And why have'nt I noticed this befor, because each season I grab a new box of primers, check my scope, make the adjustments if need be and then continue to use that box of primers for the rest of the season, I have never switched primers during a season, good thing!
So I guess this turned out to be more of a (Primer) test than anything else, and I never even planned on doing a test of different one's, it just happened. I really just wanted to shoot my ACCURA, but next time the 150gr's of pyrodox Pellets are history,Im sore! and Im going to try the T72f and hopefully stay with it, Im thinking around 110-120gr's, any suggestions on the amount of T72f I should try?
Im not gonna tell you's how my groups were at 100yds as it was cold as heck out still and my fingers were froze and my shoulder hurt. Let's just say if it was a deer at 100yds he'd be on the back of my truck. On my next shoot I'll take some pics as Im just gonna use one bullet and one primer and the T72f. I have'nt figured out how to download the picsto the sight, but mabey if I send them to (sabotloader) he'll do it for me?

Old 02-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Finally got to shoot the ACCURA today!

Breechplug

Gees! bout time...

Very interesting report and it has been widely suggested that some primers will change to POI. I shoot Remington 209-4's and Winchester Triple Seven primers... the 209-4's were primers built for the 410 shotgun but no longer available - I still have 2 bricks of them so I am good. In my case I see no difference between the 2 primers and POI.

Yep - I will post your pics but I also can help you post so you can do your own eventually....

First thing go to: www.photobucket.comand register yourself... when that is done I walk you through the next step...

Check your PM's
Old 02-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Great report.. and it sounds like you have a great shooting rifle to boot. Those 150 grain loads do get your attention...
Old 02-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Mike, got your mail on the (Windex Patches) all I had today was the Glass-Pluss, so I used it. I guess the POA does'nt matter as long as you use the same primer's all the time. What is did notice was a little less resistance using the Winchester 209ML Primers Vs the T7's.
What else suppprised me was the POA of the 240gr XTP's and the 300Gr XTP's were pretty much the same, I'd have sworn I was using the same bullet.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

What else suppprised me was the POA of the 240gr XTP's and the 300Gr XTP's were pretty much the same
That is not un-common the recoil of the 300 grain caused greater vibrations in/on the barrel and actually made the shot rise.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes they do Dave, but usually I just do a few shots befor the season to check the scope, then mabey it's only 2-4 more during our season so the 150 does'nt matter too much. But now that I plan on shooting a-lot more Im gonna go with the T72f and 120Gr's. On a good year I usually only shoot about 300 shots, from now on mabey double that. How many shots do you shoot throught the year?
Old 02-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Dominant Buck

On average I shoot at least four days a week and average 15-30 rounds a session. So if we figure 80 rounds a week I shoot, that would put me somewhere around 4000-5000 rounds a year. I normally get a case of black powder a year, and then ten or fifteen pounds of pyrodex and triple seven, sometimes more then that. And then I pick up a pound of this powder or that powder. I stopped keeping track. About 2000 #11 caps a year is not uncommon. And I get my 209 primers by the ten packs.

Some years more then that. Most days I shoot on average 20-30 rounds a day, and have been known to shoot six days a week. The worst stretch (according to my neighbor) was thirty four days in a row, I never missed a range session.

When my health is good, I will shoot almost every day. With the back injuries and shoulder injuries lately, it has kind of slowed me down. And the bitter cold put a damper on me. But summer time, I sit out there all day long and shoot two to four rifles a day, 15 to 20 rounds a rifle.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've noticed that which primer you use can affect accuracy. My personal rule of thumb is that a 209 primer that is "hotter" is going to produce more flyers than a less potent one. Also, some just seem to be more consistent than others. I've used:
1. Rem Kleenbore
2. Federal 209A
3. Winchester T7 primers

Out of those, the Winchester T7's produce the most consistent groups for me and the least fouling/crud ring. I've never tried Winchester W209's- my friends use them with good results.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow Dave, that's a-lot of shooting! I guess I shoot my Bows just as much if not more, it's hard to do both and as much with each one. Im a true Bowhunter at heart, I picked up on ML Hunting because Im a traditional Hunter, (1 shot) That's what true hunting is all about. I dont use the Shotguns for Deer Hunting anymore, have'nt in almost 20 years, the Wife does though. All our stands are BIG, 2 people can be in them with plenty of room, I can even lay down when my back hurts and have the wife keep watch. I guess that's cheating in a way when I have the wife there to back me up with the shotgun knowing I only have one shot, but she's not there all the time. Hope you stay healthy and can enjoy shooting for many more years!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Wow you guys shoot alot. Thats awesome!!! I have paying attention to this forum for a few weeks now. I could tell you guys knew alot now I know why. I am new to this forum and have only been hunting with a muzzleloader for 4 years. Thats theonly thing I use now to hunt deer, and love it. So anyway I will sit back observe, learn and maybe comment once and a while. Oh ya in the little bit of shooting I do I have noticed a difference in primers.ThanksGuys.

Quick Reply: Finally got to shoot the ACCURA today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.