Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis & pellets & MX products

Old 02-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Remington Genesis & pellets & MX products

As the forum is aware, Sabotloader and I started using a product and had some good results with it. The product of course is Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner, Cowboy Solvent, and their gun oil. This product is supposed to keep your rifle is top condition and give you the best accuracy possible. So the real question is ... does the stuff work.

.50 caliber Remington Genesis Stainless model
1-5-6x40 Traditions scope and mounts (sighting in the scope today)
2-6-09 12:00 noon, windy, 30ยบ 63 yards distance to target
100 grains of Pyrodex RS pellets (and two shots with 150 grains of pellets)
200 grain Shockwaves with supplied sabots
250 grain Traditions/Barnes Expanders with red supplied sabots
Winchester W209 primers
spit for swab.

Shot #1 was way out at 11:00 o'clock and I was aiming dead center bull. This was on a dry patched only spotless clean barrel that was treated with Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner.

Shots 2-5 was swabbing between shots with the same very lightly moist spit patch. I then decided to show off a real five shot group and Murphy snuck up and #6 happened...[:@]

I was four inches high and one inch to the left, so I made the necessary adjustments to the scope and shot again for the center bull.

I swabbed every other shot. All of this still with the same single spit patch I started with and no dry patch follow up. I should have swabbed for all of them but I wanted to see what would happen when I did not swab... so it was a learning experience for me.

I then used a new patch and again swabbed the barrel and this time loaded 100 grains of pellets and Traditions was selling Barnes Expanders by the card in 250 grain. I bought a lot of them. Now I am kind of glad I did. As this might be the best three shot group I ever shot..

At 63 yards I was thrilled although I was having fits at the bench. I thought I was missing the whole target because I did not walk up and check between shots to see what was happening. I would have been happy with a group like that at 25 yards, but at 63 yards when I saw it.. well

I then decided to try two of the Barnes with three pellets at the other corner. People hold on to that rifle. It reminded me I was getting lax in my address of the rifle. BUT I am a fast learner. The rifle does not like three pellets and I don't either. Two pellets and that load is just fine.

Over all it was a good day on the range, and the rifle cleaned up really easy and quick. In fact I took my time and broke it all down and cleaned the other parts, and they took longer then the barrel...

Did Montana X-treme have some thing to do with these exception groups.. I can not say it did. Am I going to keep using the stuff? Yes I think I will for a while..
Old 02-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington Genesis & pellets & MX products

Looks mighty good. You posted some impressive groups with that rifle prior to treatment so it's hard to say... One thing you can say for certain, it's not hurting the groups.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

That group with the Barnes is mighty fine shooting. Don't get me wrong, all of the groups were some fine shooting but one hole from 63 yds is awesome. Regardless of how good everything else is (scope, load, etc) the gun can still only shoot as good as the person pulling the trigger. I would make that my computer wallpaper if it were my group. Congrats and thanks for the reports.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Your lucky you could not hear me when I was shooting those Barnes. I fired the first one and thought.. ok, its different then the Shockwaves. Then I shot the next one and I honestly thought I missed the whole target. But I swabbed and loaded again, and then fired the third and was really cussing. That's when I noticed the hole looked funny through the scope. So when I walked up there and saw that, I was very pleased.

In fact I was so happy with that group,I just ordered a Nikon Omega scope for the Genesis. Maybe with top rate optics, I can do some real long range shooting.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very nice dave
Old 02-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found out I don't like 150 gr in this gun either. I shot 3 pellets everytime I've shot it. I have the see thru mounts on mine so was sighting in the open sights first. The first time I shot I was looking at the open sights and it kicked way way harder than I expected and the scope came back to hit me in the forehead. I should have payed attention to where the scope was instead of just looking at the open sights under it. I shot probably 15-20 times and my shoulder was sore. I'm not old either so that wasn't it. This thing just really kicked. Almost like my 12 gauge with buckshot.

I got the open sights sighted in great with 150gr and a 295 grain Powerbelt HP. This is at 61 yards. I wanted to sight in it for that and then the scope for 100. Now I've decided I'm going back to 100gr and going to try Tripple 7 pellets out as I had a hard time finding the Pyrodex regular ones. So I'm going to have to resight the open sights in. Oh well. Seemed with 150 grains almost like the bullet was ripping through the target on some shots rather than going through straight. This is another reason I want to step back to 100 and see what it does. I've always shot 100 grains in my old muzzleloader so going to try that out on this one and hopefully not have it kick so hard.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe that sore back is helping your groups, you don't hold the gun so tight.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Really nice shooting,and good report as always!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

Dave,
Very nice shooting, I put the omega from natchez($149) on my genesis. I think the scope is 50% of the guns ability and you can't go wrong with any top end optic. I only shot the fbp's and the shockwaves and it seems my gun liked the shockwaves at 100y with 100g t7. Keep reporting about the MX I am already sold on it.... next order im loading up.
Chuck
Old 02-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Even though I did not need it, I orders one of them Nikon Omega 3-9x40mm scopes from Natches tonight. I will be putting that on the Genesis, and then take the new scope off it and put that on a different rifle. Maybe the Black Diamond XR of one of my traditional rifles.. should make a real interesting rifle with that Nikon. Keep me posted on how yours does..

Quick Reply: Remington Genesis & pellets & MX products

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.