Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis & pellets & MX products

Old 02-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Remington Genesis & pellets & MX products

cayugad

Dang! those barnes shot pretty darn good for ya... course the other ones are not that bad either.

Glad you did not try to shovel more of your range out. I tried to get into the 'rock pit' today to do some shooting - but the snow on the road was still about a foot deep and it was really rotten - could not get the truck up on top and stay up - kept sinking in and bucking - took the cowards way out back out back to main road.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, I will be at 63 yards for a little while. Actually that is further then I would really ever shoot on my property. But I like shooting at all distances. I might head over to my friends hay fields. We can use the snowmobile to set and check targets. I would really like to shoot at 200 yards just to see if I can do it.

I ordered a Nikon Omega scope for the rifle tonight and will be changing over to that scope. I really want to see what this rifle can do.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let us know how that Omega Scope works out for you. This Summer I plan on shooting 200-250yds, mostly for Coyotes and possibly Deer.I watched a ML Hunt last night on the Hunting Channel, they were hunting Whitetails in Southern ILL. They said shots at 200-250 are common there. Now dont get me wrong, I'd never shoot at a animal at those distances unless I was 99% sure I could do it. I feel Im a much better than average shooter, so I'll practace on some Chucks this Summer, and if I can hit them out to 200yds, then a deer should be easy! It's like when we practice shooting our Bow's for IBO shoots, the furthest shots are usually 50++yds, so we practice at 60-70 and 80yds and then them 50yd shots are a pice of cake! Hopefully it will be the same with the ML
Old 02-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Breechplug.. that's funny. I was watching a video the other night. They were hunting with Knight Disc Extremes in .45 caliber and they were antelope hunting. And on the video, they ranged one goat at over 200 yards and the person has one of them bipods on the front of his rifle. He takes the shot and that antelope kind of hunched and then dropped. And I was just shocked.

When they got up to that antelope, there really is not a lot of room for error, but I did notice IMO they hit the antelope kind of high on the shoulder, but it still dropped him. Almost immediately, I started thinking what rifle I would use to do the same kind of hunt. The Black Diamond XR, the Knight Disc, but after today watching the Genesis shoot those 200 grain Shockwaves, and then the Barnes... I said to myself, this rifle needs top of the line glass. And that Nikon Omega has gotten such good reviews from the forum members. And it was on sale, I just had to get it.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems the more I watch hunting shows the weapon of choice nowadays is the Muzzleloader. With all the improvements of Inlines, bullets, powders, scopes,ect. You can really put togeather a (long range ML) that will get the job done. Back to Hunting Shows, a few monthe ago I was watching a Elk Hunt with a ML and the guy chased this Bull all day, finally the Guide and him saw the Bull but he was 375 yds away. The Hunter pleaded with the guide to let him take the shot, he said he practices those ranges all the time. Finally the guide said O.K., and believe it or not he got him at 375yds! They never said what the ML was or the powder or bullet, but the Bull only ran about 50 yds and piled up. After they made the treck down to the Bull to examine it, the shot was good (of course) and right on the money.
So when you put that ML togeather let us know how them long ranges work out with that scope. As said befor, my other ACCURA and my new Leupold Ultimate Slam ML Scope is going to be a long range Hunter. For Coyotes, Chucks and the Possible Buck standing in the cut Corn Field feeding at 200yds. Im thinking of going with the 10mm/200grXTP's. It looks like a good choice for them distances, I'll let everyone know. And good choice on the scope!
Old 02-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

Breech,
I think i saw the same hunt.....the gun that was used was a www.BadBullMuzzleloaders.com
They say 3in group at 300yards?
Man im like you a diehard hunter and at those yard i would think twice.
I have been out west 3x's(1 elk 5x5) he was at 300y with my 300 weatherby and my guide said shoot, i would have waited.