Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How much difference does 20 gr make?

Old 02-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default How much difference does 20 gr make?

I was out throwing some lead this weekend and was shooting 300 gr XTPs with Harvester CR sabots pushed by 80 gr of pyrodex pellets and was consistently shooting a 2 inch group at 50 yds. I think I shot about 15-17 times, all of them good with the exception of 1 shot that was about an inch out of the group. Before I quit for the day I had only two 50 gr pellets left so I shot the same bullet and sabot but increased the powder to 100 gr. I put up new paper just so I could see where it went and I could be sure which hole was from the 100 gr shot. I had what I felt was a good steady shot but when I retrieved the target, no hole. Is it possible that the 20 extra grains made me miss by more than 6 inches? Maybe it wasn't as solid of a shot as I thought and maybe the increased recoil made me flinch but I sure didn't feel like it. If I would have had more powder I would have shot again but I didn't. I'm not sure what to expect from an increase in powder as far as POI goes but that seems extreme. Thanks in advance for ya'lls expertise.

BTW, I was shooting an inline Winchester with a scope if that makes a diff.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How much difference does 20 gr make?

A couple weeks ago, I took pellets and shot in my Black Diamond XR. With 100 grains of pellets and a 250 grain Shockwave it shot beautiful groups at63 yards. I was not surprised the first shot was off as it normally is with this rifle.

then for kicks I tried three pellets at the same distance with the same bullet.

I adjusted for the last shot with 150 grains of powder. BUT still the group was much larger then with 100 grains. Now I know with loose powder 120 grain it shoots good groups. But for what it did with 100 grains, I would be happy to live with that and pellets.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Muzzle - Unfortunately, I doubt that 20 gr more of Pyrodex would have caused you to miss the target at 50 yds provided you were on with the 80 gr charge.
I did notice with my 45 cal LRH Green Mtn barrel with a 70 gr charge of Pyrodex P at 100 yds I was hitting higher than I liked and had my rear sight all the way down. About 3" high.On a whim, I boosted the charge up to 80 grains and this 10 grain increase was enough to, what I believe, flatten out the trajectory so that the bullet was now hitting point of aim at 100 yds.
At your 50 yd target you may expect some difference but not as much as you stated. In any event, if your 80 gr charge is shooting well for you, it is plenty of juice for any deer.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Banned

i was 5" high today with my 45, scooted back to 100 yards and i was a foot and a half high! that was pretty amazing.

if you were using loose powder and then switched over to pellets, it could shoot differently.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Muzzle - Unfortunately, I doubt that 20 gr more of Pyrodex would have caused you to miss the target at 50 yds provided you were on with the 80 gr charge.
I have resolved to the fact that I must have flinched on that shot. I wish I would have had more powder so I could shoot a couple more times. Hopefully I can get back out soon and shoot some more. I have a terrible time finding powder this time of year where I live. Everybody has sold out for the season and I can't afford to pay the haz. mat. fee.

I have only put about 40 rounds through my Apex and about the same through my Genesis. I am still not confident enough to shoot a deer with either gun. Hopefully I will be able to put 200+ rounds through them both before next deer season. If I'm not confident after that many rounds then I probably never will be. I refuse to shoot a gun at an animal if I'm not 100% capable of my shot with that particular gun.

BTW - Before I got these two MLs, nobody ever told me how addicting the sport can be. I love shooting centerfire but these MLs are a whole new game. I'm starting to try to think of creative ways to stay home from work and make it out to my shooting area without getting caught. My wife says she will never have to think about what to get me for birthday or Christmas again. Powder and bullets and I will be a happy man.