Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barrel rusting test

Old 02-12-2009, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barrel rusting test

some synthetic oils eat plastic especially when it gets cold out. i found that out the hard way with my bow quiver. hoppes #9 i believe has oil in it. bannana oil or something. i guess in a pinch it may work. id like to see some testing with these lubricant protectives maybe in the future.when i google long term rust inhibitors these seem to come up http://www.theruststore.com/Boeshiel...odnDUAdw%C2%A0 http://www.fluidfilmsalesusa.com/ff_maritime.htm
Old 02-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Dominant Buck

This was the 8th of this month.

#1 = bore butter
#2 = Montana Bore Conditioner
#3 = Birchwood Casey Sheath/Barricade
#4 = WD-40

As you can see.. there is little to no change. In fact I am surprised that this taking as long as it has.

When I test next time, I want to take all the pieces to a grinder and put them back to bare metal. But for now I will let the test continue.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

SHEATHS is still looking good and wd-40 not too bad, so far
Old 02-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

#3 looks the best so far.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Dominant Buck

You have to compare the two photos.. as some of them were rusted worse then others. I cleaned all samples and then just randomly picked for each sample. That way I could not set up to fail any oil. The funnny part is the one oil I wanted to test is the one that got the worst sample of them all...

to me they still look identical. I checked them today and they have not changed.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Dave I copied and overlapped the two dated pictures so that a closer look might be possible.

From my prospective - I am not concerned about the rust or condition of the cut edges - they in fact should rust long before the smooth bore finish. So when I look at the pics I am trying to evaluate the change in bore only. As you can see in your pics the amount of light in the upper picture is a little greater than the lower picture, so when you are reading your interpretation of the time lapse keep that in mind.

I really notseeing a lot of differences in bore conditionin each sample.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

[&o][&o][&o] I am sorry to say... I messed the test up BIG TIME. I was sweeping up the gun room. The sample was sitting on a old military wooden shell case. And you'd never guess what I knocked over as I was sweeping...

Well the sample hit the floor. And when I checked them, I was "pretty sure" which was which. But being "pretty sure" is like being part right. You're also part wrong.

So I took all the samples to the shop. Ran them on the grinding wheel and took all rust off them. I then treated them as I would if I were cleaning a rifle. I used brake cleaner to get them all spotless.

Sample #1 I applied bore butter to a patch and basically patched the piece of metal. I applied a thin even coating of bore butter to it.

Sample #2 I used the Montana X-treme bore conditioner and did basically the same thing. After I was sure it was clean and dry, I patched it with the BC and applied a thin even coat.

Sample #3 was Birchwood Casey Sheath

Sample #4 was WD-40

Sorry I had to start the test over. Also I no longer have the samples "resting" on a wet paper towel in the container. I put a dry paper towel down, and folded the wet towel and added that to the top of the container. So anything that is drawn towards the sample should be even.

I also put the sample on a cabinet that holds bullets. That I know is not going over.. So now I start again. I knew some of you were concerned about how good these products protect the rifles we so love. And I did not want false or tainted information out there.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's a lucky man who gets a chance to start over with no harm done by the first try.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you made the right move,like you said pretty sure is not 100%
Old 02-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

Boy did you screw up!

Actually, with a different moisture set up the new test may be a bit more realistic.

Quick Reply: Barrel rusting test

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.