Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barrel rusting test

Old 02-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Barrel rusting test

thanks, yes we know its NOT LUBRICANT .

it was tested on plates at other tests and i believe it was only one that came out NOT RUSTED.

so, i am curious if it works as good on bore test as it did on plate test.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad after cleaning i put gun oil on barrel then i put on the vasoline i know my grandfather did the same i have his old 30-30 that he hunted with for about 50 yrs and that gun looks like new
I find the vasoline is a pain to put on but it still there a year later a little dusty but it seems to work great
wipe it down before i use it and good to go
Old 02-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bowtruck

cayugad after cleaning i put gun oil on barrel then i put on the vasoline i know my grandfather did the same i have his old 30-30 that he hunted with for about 50 yrs and that gun looks like new
I find the vasoline is a pain to put on but it still there a year later a little dusty but it seems to work great
wipe it down before i use it and good to go
every electrical connection on my bass boat has a dab of vaseline on it.

everything ,i carry a bottle in boat all time.

i use it in my tailights on traler when they go under water.

in your trailer connector on truck,everywhere i put it.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Uncle uses Mobil 1 on all his long guns and pistols and swears by it. I also use Valsiline on my Bow Arrow Rest Arms, I put a little just under where the limb connects to the riser, and when needed it's there, stands up to all the rain you can throw at it. It works great on them Cold Days when you go to draw your bow and you can hear the arrow slide accross the rest. For trigger mechs I use (MOLLY LUBE) Now this stuff is great, it WONT attract DUST and lubricates very well, it's a Dry Film Lubricant, it goes on wet then evaporates to leave a super slick surface on moving parts. It also makes some cheaper trigger mechs work like they have been worked, it's EXPENSIVE!!! about 35 bucks a can, but works, check it out. BP
Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Breechplug

My Uncle uses Mobil 1 on all his long guns and pistols and swears by it. I also use Valsiline on my Bow Arrow Rest Arms, I put a little just under where the limb connects to the riser, and when needed it's there, stands up to all the rain you can throw at it. It works great on them Cold Days when you go to draw your bow and you can hear the arrow slide accross the rest. For trigger mechs I use (MOLLY LUBE) Now this stuff is great, it WONT attract DUST and lubricates very well, it's a Dry Film Lubricant, it goes on wet then evaporates to leave a super slick surface on moving parts. It also makes some cheaper trigger mechs work like they have been worked, it's EXPENSIVE!!! about 35 bucks a can, but works, check it out. BP

best stuff from what i see for triggers etc is BREAKFREE CLP.
its only stuff that top shooters will use on their BERETTA shotguns in the olympics and shooting.

when i was stationed at new jersey,i belonged to one of the top skeet clubs in country.

BREAKFREE CLP is all they used,it was on tables and sprayed on pistons .

those pistons have to work and if dirt gets there, they are in trouble, THEY LOSE THE MATCH

some say they dont put PTFE in it anymore, i believe they still do.

you can get it at wal-mart real cheap.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know what your talking about, and I think there is PTFE in it. There is NO PTFE in Molly Lube. I have also used (Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant) with/con (Cerflon) it is also a Dry-Film with no oil residue. Wal-Mart also has this and it's only about $5 compared to Molly Lube wich is about $35 a can. But for me the Molly Lube is what I use now. Im not sue how long it has been around, I just started using it about 3 years ago. Anyone interested in it, look it up, you'll be suprised what this stuff does. BP
Old 02-11-2009, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you check on them yet cayuga?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 02-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I have tried twice to post results but get a system 500 server error all the time. So we will try again..

I did check them. No sign of rust on any sample. The Bore Butter is turning yellow and really has a strong smell but I attribute that to the confinement of it in that container.

Humidity in the container is intense. Water is forming on the inside of the lid, and even in the barrel chambers, where it has beaded up I might add. At this point, under these extreme conditions, I would trust any of the oils...

I will point out I was extra careful in their application.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Which oils did you decide on? Was it Bore Butter, Sheath, MX Bore Conditioner, and ???????

Quick Reply: Barrel rusting test

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.