Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barrel rusting test

Old 02-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barrel rusting test

It's hard to tell, mabey they'll just do the same and get worse. How long can the oil's actually serve their porpouse befor they diminish.I wish you would have used BB, as I said befor, and I know it was'nt the thing to do but the ML's I stored in the attic were all pretty much put to rest, and allwere synthetic stocked ML's.I treated all those Barrels with BB and after a full year they showed no signs at all of rust. It may not be a good Bore Conditioner, but it sure did protect them from rusting.
And I was a little surprised at the Birchwood Casey too!
Old 02-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

Dave,
Do you work for Montana X-treme? If so they need to pay you more...lol...
That so far looks like the best product of the 3.
My order was placed friday thru natchez and im getting the works..x,cowboy..everything they sell.
I cant wait to treat my guns.
Chuck
Old 02-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Me Work? Bite your tongue blastphemer... I am any products worst nightmare. When I start to test something, I put it through about anything that I think will make it fail that I can think of.

And I agree.. the Birchwood Casey Sheath kind of disappointed me. Not that I ever had any problems for the years I have used it, and endorsed it. But this appears not to be the best product.

The one thing I point out.. look where the rust actually is. Perhaps it was an application problem. I should have sprayed each piece to ensure that every little part was covered, but I appled all of it with a patch. Just like you or I would do when I clean a rifle. So I do think it is a far test.

Birchwood.. Here is what I will do. I am going to pull the control piece, wipe it as clean as I can, and apply bore butter to the back side of it, and put it back in the test.. How does that sound?
Old 02-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good Dave, I'ts that befor I met all you guy's it's all I used for almost 20 years and never had a problem with rust. I may continue to use it for the (outside) of my barrels as I have 3 full tubes left of it, and now that you guy's converted me to MX I'd hate to see and old friend die without at least a fair chance to defend itself. Thank's Dave..... BP
Old 02-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave I see (by accident) you referred to me as Birchwood (still thinking of that test?) and you got me thinking.....Birchwood,,,,,MontanaX,,,hey MontanaX sounds like a neat name to use, like a name from the oldwest!
Old 02-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Sorry for the error. Mind was working but the fingers were not.

I went and took all the samples back to metal. Since we know that an untreated sample will rust the worst, there is no use in repeating that. After I got them cleaned, without looking I picked each piece for a test.

#1 = Bore Butter
#2 = Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner
#3 = Birchwood Casey Sheath
#4 = Rem Oil

We will see if the same results happen. Also I paid special care to treating and handling of the test pieces. So in a week I will take a look at them..
Old 02-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's Dave! Oh, I know this is off the topic, but I have been seeing you guy's have and like the side hammer ML's. I have and it's my first ML ever, a (Dixie Gun Works) Tenn.50cal. I call it a poorboy. It's 57 1/2" long and a real good shooter, I have had it for about 20+ years, any remarks on it would be appreciated. I was gonna post a pic but cant figure out how. Thank's, BP
Old 02-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

if you continue test,i would like to see if wd-40 rusts.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Dominant Buck

A poor boy is usually a great rifle. I need a custom flintlock, then my collection will be complete..
Old 02-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Email another one and i will post it from over here in Kennewick

Quick Reply: Barrel rusting test

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.