Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barrel rusting test

Old 02-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Barrel rusting test

Uh-Oh Yooper! Didn't you know there's a penalty for posting cartridge rifle groups? Now you have to post at least two ML groups within 48 hours.

I used to use IMR4831 in my 25-06. It was my favorite powder. A few years ago I tried Reloader 19 based on an article in Guns & Ammo. It was great and is all I use now. 54 grains under a 100 grain Barnes Triple Shock gives me 3200 fps (chronographed) and 100 yard groups like the one you posted. DAMN! Now I have to post a ML group.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yardage was a paced 100 yards. I have owned the Remington 243 since 1973. I have shot a bunch of deer with it all bang flops. Last deer I shot was a nice 8 point at our UPPER deer camp in 1992. I was in the hard woods on a ridge over looking a cedar swamp where the deer had been coming from to feed on the acorns in the evening.
Well this deer comes strolling noseily thru the dry leaves to my left rear so I had to turn 45 degrees to get a shot at him about 75 yards away. No sooner did I shot and I heard another shot at the far end of the cedar swamp. It was the 4th day of the season, my hunting partners first trip to the deer camp, also shooting a 243.I had just finished dress my buck when he comes marching down the trail. I ask did you see any and he holds up 4 fingers. Finally he gets closer and see my buck and starts danceing a jig. He had just shot a 4 point his self.
Ok the Muzzle loader group pentlypictures.
Not pretty as they are APP powder test groups.

Al

Old 02-03-2009, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Photo bucket pictures some time load here and some times they don't. Also the last couple of weeks I don't get a reply notice for some reason.

These last two pictures of groups are with my Remmy 700 50 cal. ML. At 50 yards off a rest.

Al

Old 02-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Dominant Buck

WOW!! that is some good shooting with the Remington.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: alleyyooper

My Photo bucket pictures some time load here and some times they don't. Also the last couple of weeks I don't get a reply notice for some reason.

I have been using Photobucket for a long timeandhave noticed lately that themy albums have been loading really slow. Don't understand why.

Nice targets.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Banned

its because they have over loaded their site with all that Advertisment BS. Pisses me off when i am uploading files and an ad pop up comes up and screws up my transfer.[:@]
Old 02-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

#1 test sample
#2 Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner
#3 Birchwood Casey Sheath
#4 Rem Oil with Teflon

Two cap fulls of water are inside there with it to keep the humidity higher. They are sitting in a nice warm spot where all of this should go to work.. Time will now tell.
2/5 I checked the samples today. The control sample shows just the slightest hint of rust on the edge that was cut. The remaing samples look perfect. I did not pick them up to check their back side as I did not want to contaminate the test.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I remembered to check my test samples. Now remember, #1 was an untreated test sample. If any of them would rust, that should have been the one. And no one I hope stores their rifles in that kind of humidity.Also I should point out the two caps of water got spilled somehow, onto the paper towel, so they were basically sitting on damp paper. For instance, today when I looked at the container, there were moisture beads on the inside of the lid. That is what I would call humidity.

#1 = extremely rusted. This was the control sample.

#2 = Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner. No sign of rust. Although there were rust spots on the outside of the barrel where it had been sitting on the damp paper towel. All of them had rust spots forming on that area. BUT the inside bore of the rifle barrel was rust free. Or very close to it.

#3 = Birchwood Casey Sheath. This was kind of a disappointment. I expected the Sheath to do better then that. Again, no one stores their rifles under these conditions. But the inside of this barrel was rusted as you can see.

#4 = Rem Oil With Teflon. This did a very good job of preventing rust as well. That one corner could have been handling marks or missed (but I doubt it).

Again on the outside of the barrels that were sitting on the damp paper towel, there were signs of rusting. The Birchwood Casey Sheath did the best job of protecting the outside of the bore.

So I conclude for those of you who asked me if the Bore Conditioner will protect the bore of your rifle from rusting. I would have to say yes it does. Even in extreme insane conditions. Might be some comfort for those of you that are out on a hunting trip or who leave a rifle loaded but hunt in bad weather....

What do you think? I do want you to note, that the inside of the actual barrel channel is rust free basically on all of them. Should I leave the test run longer?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice test so far Dave, I vote to go longer, why not you went this far. BP
Old 02-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I have no problem letting it go longer...

that's 2 votes for keep going. What do you expect will happen next?

Quick Reply: Barrel rusting test

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.