Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barrel rusting test

Old 02-02-2009, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barrel rusting test

Dave I think you are doing the test the best way to speed things along.
However I don't think anybody is so dumb that they would store a gun, any gun in that kind of humidity. We have some humid weather here in Michigan surrounded by the great lakes as we areso we do take great care in protecting our guns. I have two 24" Golden Rods in my safe to reduce the moisture in there, as well as coating my guns with a good amount of rem oil.

Al
Old 02-02-2009, 07:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Al - I agree. The water is just to speed things up. In fact I have serious doubts if any of the protected metal will rust. I was thinking of putting the whole works outside all day and then bring it in at night.

Being near Lake Superior, we get humidity as well. According to weather bug its 66% humidity here today. And when you think it was -5 last night, that would explain the dusting of snow this morning. Its already up to seven above and sunny so its a great day here.

I have to have something to do. My last little stunt of shoveling out the target range costed me. My back went out. My Sciatica came back. Anyone that ever had Sciatica knows how that feels. The meaning of pain has new bounds. So I am being very careful and mending. The doctor said no walking in snow as one false twist and it could cause it all to return. So I sure miss my range time. I bet I've cleaned all my rifles twice this week....
Old 02-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

cayugadAl - I agree. The water is just to speed things up. In fact I have serious doubts if any of the protected metal will rust. I was thinking of putting the whole works outside all day and then bring it in at night.

I think that would be a great ideait brings the test closer to what the barrel (gun) would go through in real conditions
Old 02-02-2009, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great Test Caugad, cant wait to see the results. As for the Bore Butter, up untill recently when I purchased the MX BC, all I have ever used for almost 20 years has been BB in the barrel's of all my ML's and the rest of my gun barrel's. I have never had any of them rust. Some I treated after cleaning and put in the box they came with and stored them in my attic for periods up to 1-2 years. The reason I stored them in the attic is because my gun cabinent was full and these ML's were one's I really did'nt use anymore so I just put them away. Well it get's really hot in my attic in the summer, plus being up there for so long should be a good test to see if the BB really does help protect from rust. After I took a couple out of the attic, to let some fellow Hunting friend's use for ML season that did'nt have a ML, and ran a few patches through the barrel's and inspected them, they were spotless and shinny, no signs of rust at all. So my conclusion is that BB really does protect them from rusting, and a year or two in the attic should be a good test to that. It may not be the best barrel conditioner, but it sure does work for keeping the barrel rust free. I even use it on the outside of my gun barrel's during the season, in rainy weather the rain beads up and even after a full day in the rain the BB is still on the barrel protecting it, a quick dry off with a paper towel to get the gun dry and it's like new. So I would have to say the BB does work great for protecting from rust, I cant wait to see your results on your test! And NO, I never would think of storing a expensive gun in my attic, and I dont store any wood stocked guns up there either. Just the synthetic stocked one's, and cheaper one's I dont use too much anymore.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, I think your test is fine as-is. You should probably let it run for a good month, perhaps monitoring it at 3 day intervals (or whatever is convenient) and take some good pics as interesting things develop (if any).

And you might follow up this test with a degreasing and then do a spot burn of perhaps 4 powders in each section of barrel - then just let them sit in that warm environment while doing the same type of monitoring. Perhaps a half-teaspoon of powder in each spot. I think we pretty much already know what the powder test will produce though.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

I've been using a product called Purple Extreme on my firearms for a few years now, and have been very impressed with it. Product was originally developed for industrial use and now for commercial use. What impressed me was it's use on Aqua spin bike chains at our local Rec center. This is where you take a Spin bike from the Gym and place it in a pool and ride in the water. The chains never show any rust what so ever. Web site says it can be used on firearms and fishing gear. Check it out.
http://www.purpleextreme.com/

Old 02-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Underclocked.. that is what I think I will do.. and the burning of powder later, perhaps this summer will be a good test to see who rusts first.

fusion I never heard of that stuff. But it does sound interesting. That stuff would work good on my four wheeler sprocket and chain, as we go through lots of mud, water, and all kinds of things on them.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave it is a beautiful day here today. Yesterday it got top 41F but the wind made it feel a bunch colder. Looked thru the woods this morning to the corn field to see how many deer were in it and the fog was so thick you couldn't see any.

I went out and shot this morning, Not going to talk about the Swift though. But the new powder I loaded in 243 seems to be ok but I ain't planing on switching from the normal powder I use afer the test. I used cross sticks and just tacked the target to a tree, got lots of trees.

Al

Old 02-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

yooper

Now you really pounded that piece of paper (and prolly da tree)... How far out were ya shooting?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Dominant Buck

that is some excellent shooting there. Those 243's are a good deer load. My friend uses a Remington 700 bdl in that caliber and he's shot deer at some insane distances.. It knocks them flat too. That looks like a good shooter.

Quick Reply: Barrel rusting test

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.