Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barrel rusting test

Old 02-21-2009, 07:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Barrel rusting test

I did test steel a while back.. on a clean protected steel plate, just powder will not cause rust. BUT when I ignited the different powders, Pyrodex RS and P were the quickest to start the rusting process. One strange finding was, black powder, while it caused rust did not appear to be as aggressive a rust as some of the other powders. The best at the time I tested was Triple Seven. It took for ever for that stuff to start to rust. I used a lawn mower blade that I tested it on.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

great info.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd kind of forgot about them samples sitting over on the cabinet. So I just checked them. (10:00 am 2-25-09) None of the samples show any sign of rusting. So if you clean your rifle good, and then use a quality product, you should be safe. Although I am not going to put my rifles in a environment like that.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again for all your time and effort.It answered alot of questions for us all.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:53 AM
mountaineer magic

That's good news indeed. I treated 6 of my guns with Montana Extreme. The rest are still bore-butter, except the ones that have never been fired yet. I have been debating on whether I should do anything with them or leave them alone til I do shoot them.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Well looking at the samples today, even the bore butter protected the steel barrel. All the other samples looked fine, including the Montana X-treme treated steel. And of course we are not going to store out guns in a place as humid as most shower stalls after a hot one... I mean the water had beaded up inside the lid over the samples it was so humid. I threw a humidity gauge in there and it went off the charts.

So I concluded this test. All I can say is clean all the fouling out of the rifle. And on a dry clean barrel, apply a good even coat of the product of your choice. All of them seemed to work fine when applied properly. You should be fine. Although like all rifles, I check mine from time to time and double check them.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

That was a great test! It was cool of you to conduct such a useful experiment. Looks like I'll be sticking with Birchwood/Casey Barricade.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you for taking the time to satisfy our curiosity.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

The of the things I like about these forums is the information that is there. It is guys like you tht make coming to this forum a pleasure Dave. Thanks for your efforts and the information you gave us.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rafsob

The of the things I like about these forums is the information that is there. It is guys like you tht make coming to this forum a pleasure Dave. Thanks for your efforts and the information you gave us.

i saw a crew of hunters this year that looked like that driving deer

Quick Reply: Barrel rusting test

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.