Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do you need a fowled bore for best accuracy?

Old 01-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Do you need a fowled bore for best accuracy?

I'm with the "sight in & hunt with a clean barrel" group. I don't pop a primer before loading either. I know my flash channel is clean and dry.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

To be honest with you - I think the jury still might be out on that one - especially if this new stuff continues to work out...
Old 01-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

I learned the hard way to shoot a couple primers through before loading. I had cleaned the muzzleloader and must have had some oil residue or something left in the gun. It was about a -5 degrees that morning so I being cold I didn't shoot the primers through. That morning I had a very wide 6 pointer...could've been an 8 get to 35 yards, shot, primer went off, no powder went off, this happened a second time as I got the deer to stop at 60 yds voice grunting and took a second shot, again, the primer went off, but not the powder. After that I never went out without not shooting a primer first (usually I shoot 2 through) and then I load up. Haven't ever had a problem since.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Mike, you must be refering to the MontanaX Bore Cond. I ordered the MX BC and the MontanaX Gun Oil and the Birchwood Casey Sheath. If Im using the MX BC do I need to follow up with the MX Gun Oil too or is the MX BC all that I'll need in my barrel? Thank's Ron
Old 01-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found that my CVA Wolf shoots best if I clean the barrel of oil with a alcohol patch both sides. One dry patch, then shoot two 209 primers. Then I load to hunt. On the range I get four holes within a inch at 100 yards doing just that.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

I do with BH209 only!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

It is my understanding.... the Gun oil is to be used on the trigger groups, actions, and moving parts.

It is also my understanding and the way I am approaching it at this point the Bore conditiner is a stand alone product in the bore. It is also my understanding that if you feel that you need more protection adding the thicker oil on top of the thin BC oil will work just fine, but before shooting dry swab the bore, which I do anyway and it is suppose tho be the norm for the use of the conditioner. It was explained to me that the BC will go places in the bore that the oil can not reach.

THE KEY.... The bore should be really clean and dry. If it is not clean the BC over time will leach out the contamiates out. Again I think that is why MX recommends at least multiple treatments before you are feeling the totally effects of the BC.

With all of that said.... When I BC in a gun that I am going to use in the near future I run a moist patch several strokes both sides.... When I treat a gun that is going to be stored for months - I will run a damp to wet patch in the bore several strokes both sides...

And remember this is all new to me also - so what I do may not be what you might want to do...

Old 01-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Breechplug
Montana X gun oil is for the moving parts, the bore conditioner is for the inside of the barrel. Lee
Old 01-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your bore requires fowling - buy some chickens.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Breechplug - I would say that most muzzleloaders produce a different point of impact on the first shot from a clean and oiled barrel than from a fouled barrel. That does not mean that a gun can not shoot through the same hole every time on a clean and oiled barrel. It is, however, difficult to sight in a gun on a clean and oiled barrel because after one shot, you have to completely clean and oil the weapon, before you can shoot again, and ultimately adjust your sight or scope, to achieve the best point of aim for the clean barrel condition. In addition, if you enjoy target shooting, it wouldn't be much fun if your first shot punched the bull at 100 yds., but all those which followed, on a fouled barrel, were 4 to 6 inches low and right. If your hunting shots are less than 75 yards, it shouldn't make much difference, or at least pale in comparison to having a good rest from which to shoot or good shooting form. I would certainly fire a couple of caps or primers whether setting up for "clean barrel" shooting or not. I do not consider a barrel to be fouled by a cap or primer, and consider it good insurance against excess oil causing a failed discharge when using loose powder.

Quick Reply: Do you need a fowled bore for best accuracy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.