Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Apollo

Old 01-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default CVA Apollo

I picked one of these up from my grandad and was wondering if there is any tips that somebody might have, or maybe if some of you have had any experiences with this gun you might care to share with me. The one that I just got has peep sights, which seem to work pretty good. It is also a 54 cal. but doesnt seem to kick any harder than the .50 T&C Hawken that I had. When I got it, it had a black almost bedliner looking finish over the stock, I guess to make it look synthetic. But when I noticed some small cracks in the finish I scaped one of them and noticed that the stock is made of Walnut. It scraped, sanded and refinished the stock and now it is really a nice looking gun. I picked up the gun for $100 with a kit of powder bisquits and saboted bullets. I think that I did ok considering that this gun also has the nice Williams peep on it as well. What do you guys think?
Old 01-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CVA Apollo

I will try and get a picture posted of how the gun looks now. It isn't the best finish job, but much much better than what it was. You can check out my stock repair too and tell me what you think.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Banned

what are the last 2 digits in the serial number? if it ends in 95 or 96, its a recall gun. Dont shoot it! Call CVA and ask them about it to be certain, they may have you just send it in and they will replace it with a new gun.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, doesnt end with either of those. Ends in 62. Here are the pics though.

[img=http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/7415/lsidemlzv4.th.jpg]
[img=http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/35/rsidemlwf6.th.jpg]

Old 01-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Banned

nice gun!! Maybe refinish the stock so its not so blonde.

I'd still hit cva with an email and the serial # Just to make sure. A call is cheap, An email is even cheaper
Old 01-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's for looking out for us fellow CVS shooter's MountainDevil, It's good to see someone like you on this forum who know's CVA's like you and does'nt talk bad of them. Keep up the good work and mabey you should call Mark at CVA and see if there's a job opening, unless you worked there at one time. Ron
Old 01-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Compared to the black spray on crap, the blonde is a nice change. I might refinish it again next year, try to make it a bit smoother and take out some of the scratches but right now I am having a hard time feeling my right hand. Something is wrong in either my shoulder, neck or I am getting carpal tunnel so I am just not up to refinishing a gun right now. Could you see the small hole that is filled with wood filler? Right next to where the bolt plug is in the rear? There was a crack in the stock back there, I smoothed it, drilled a very small hole in the side, counter sunk the hole and ran the screw in then filled over it smooth with wood filler. Anyways, it was a 3 day project and I think that I did pretty descent considering that my hands kept going numb and I would loose the sandpaper repeatably lol. If anybody can get me the CVA phone number I would appreciate it. I didnt get any paperwork with the gun.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.cva.com/pdfs/CVA%20In-Line.pdf is probably the nearest thing you will find for a manual.

(770) 449-4687 CVA customer service
Old 01-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Breechplug

Thank's for looking out for us fellow CVS shooter's MountainDevil, It's good to see someone like you on this forum who know's CVA's like you and does'nt talk bad of them. Keep up the good work and mabey you should call Mark at CVA and see if there's a job opening, unless you worked there at one time. Ron
Thanks BP. Im just looking out for my fellow CVA Shooters. And Along with the Powerbelt shooters

CVA couldnt afford to hire me, Beauty does not come cheap [8D]
Old 01-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beauty is only skin deep, the brains are on the top! Take care my Friend!

Quick Reply: CVA Apollo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.