Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Protectant: What do you use?

Old 01-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bore Protectant: What do you use?

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

Honestly just the Outers Gun Oil from Wal-Mart. Is that not a good idea? I have some Breakfree CLP also but wasn't sure if it worked as a gun oil or just to clean it and then I should run a patch with gun oil through after it. It talked on the can like it did everything.

Is there any reason I should use anything other than the Outers when storing them?
BREAKFREE CLP HAS TEFLON IN IT,ITS FINE FOR ANYTHING.

clp is no.1 oil used by the skeet shooters in my area.
they like it because stuff will not stick to it and cause wear like a oil would.

shotgun pistons thats all they use.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

they like it because stuff will not stick to it and cause wear like a oil would.

Here's all the MSDS's for CLP and I don't see Teflon as an ingredient on any of them...

http://hazard.com/msds/gn.cgi?query=9150010536688&whole=nsn&start =0
Old 01-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have an old bottle of CLP and it lists teflon as an added ingredient, but when the goverment re-wrote the mil specs for bore oil - I believe it was removed... New supplies will not have teflon in it.

More and more companies are removing teflon from their bore products.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

What kind of alcohol are you guys using that use it to removed oil? I have a large bottle of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Would that be fine to use?

Thats the stuff I use.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's all the MSDS's for CLP and I don't see Teflon as an ingredient on any of them...

WELL, IF THATS true aS YOU SAID, thats last time i will use it,TEFLON keeps powder from sticking and if thats gone,OH MY!

THANKS
Old 01-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

I have an old bottle of CLP and it lists teflon as an added ingredient, but when the goverment re-wrote the mil specs for bore oil - I believe it was removed... New supplies will not have teflon in it.

More and more companies are removing teflon from their bore products.
thats awful, skeet shooters use clp because their pistons get dirty and clp will keep it not gummed up, if thats removed, what a huge problem
Old 01-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

they say it does have teflon in it, its called TFE DUPONT .

do a google using,DOES BREAKFREE CLP HAVE TEFLON IN IT
Old 01-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just don't see Teflon being an issue. If CLP has Teflon in it like people have said and this causes adverse issues, it seems like the military would have a lot of barrel failures. I am an active duty U.S. Marine and have been for the last 10 years. In all that time I have been a Small Arms Repairman working in an Armory and supporting tens of thousands of weapons. Hell, we have 11,000 M16A2's in the Armory I'm typing this from. All we have used since I have been in is CLP. In all that time I have replaced quite a few barrels but all of them have been to normal wear or because some idiot bent it trying to use it as a pry-bar. Never have I seen a cracked barrel....ever.... And my GySgt who has 18 years experience as an Armorer has yet to see a cracked barrel either.

TheU.S. Military sends millions of rounds down range every year and I haven't even heard of any issues resulting from the use of CLP. If it truely does has Teflon in it, I can't see it being harmful to gun bores. And I would also say that it doesn't adversely affect accuracy since we shoot our M16A2's out to 500 yards with iron sights.I use CLP every single time I clean my M16A2 and I shoot Expert (The highest regular marksmanship award in the USMC) every single year. And I put all 10 of my 5.56MM rounds in a man sized target from 500 yards every single time.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

sproulman

thats awful, skeet shooters use clp because their pistons get dirty and clp will keep it not gummed up, if thats removed, what a huge problem
There is nothing wrong with using teflon on moving parts, such as trigger groups, pistons, latches, and etc. The problem arises from teflon in the bore where is is subject to the heat and pressure of powder ignition.

From what I have been able to find, because of the findings of lab testing Teflon has been removed from the Mil-Spec bore oils. Further f you start looking at the new bore oils that are comming out they are listing 'no PTFE's' in their products.

This is the home page of one of those mil-spec products...
http://www.slip2000.com/

In the products area take a look at the read on the oil... and then if you might look at this more detailed description...
http://www.slip2000.com/gunlube_info.html

This is not the only oil on the market that will fit this description, most good bore oils are following the mil-spec and going this way.....

Old 01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use a product called fluid film in my muzzies.its a long term rust inhibitor.it smells nice and is lanolin based so its natural. i use shooters choice fp-10 in my rifles and shotguns.

Quick Reply: Bore Protectant: What do you use?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.