Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pretty impressed with Barnes Spit-Fire MZ's in my Genesis

Old 01-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pretty impressed with Barnes Spit-Fire MZ's in my Genesis

I tried out the Barnes 285g Spit-Fire MZ's in my Remington Genesis today. I decided to quit using Traditions WonderLube and scrubbed it all out of my barrel. Man am I glad I did! My accuracy was greatly improved from the last outing with the ML. I started off by running a dry patch down my bore to remove any excess RemOil from the cleaning last night. Then I flipped it over and ran it again. Then I fired off 1 Remington STS primer to foul the bore. Then I loaded the SF MZ. Man are these things tight!!! My first shot was right in the kill zone but not dead center. I decided I was going to swab the bore clean and allow the barrel to cool after each shot even though I was using BH209. I did this because that will be the condition of the bore when I hunt and I want to get the ML accurate under those conditions. I would swab the bore with a patch soaked in solvent until it was clean. Then I would run a patch with RemOil on it and then a dry patch twice. Then fire off 1 primer to foul the bore. I fired a few more times like this and pretty much all the shots were a little off to the right and a little high. Still in the kill zone though. I decided to make a small adjustment to the scope. It brought my shots closer to dead center and I was satisfied with the results. This was at 100 yards.

Then I decided to tryto figure out this Nikon ProStaff 3-9X40 BDC scope at 200 yards. For my first shot I used the first circle below the cross-hairs and the impact was pretty low. About two feet. For my second shot I tried the second circle below the cross-hairs and that put me right on the money. So I called it quits for the day.

So in conclusion... I'm glad I scrubbed all the WonderLube out of my barrel and I will no longer use it... I got my Genesis zeroed in at 100 yards with the rifle in the condition it will be in when I go hunting... And I also knowwhat circle to use on my BDC scope if I need to make a 200 yard shot. I am extremely satisfied with my Genesis and with BH209. And I think I will be hunting with Barnes Spit-Fire MZ's from now on.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Pretty impressed with Barnes Spit-Fire MZ's in my Genesis

I have never shot one of those Barnes 285 gr Spitfire bullets. I looked them up and I really like the looks of them. That looks like a real deer or elk killing machine. Sounds like you have a real good load and a rifle there as well. 200 yards is a long way. Nice to know you can shoot that far.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you had a good day
Old 01-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

I tried out the Barnes 285g Spit-Fire MZ's in my Remington Genesis today. I decided to quit using Traditions WonderLube and scrubbed it all out of my barrel. Man am I glad I did! My accuracy was greatly improved from the last outing with the ML. I started off by running a dry patch down my bore to remove any excess RemOil from the cleaning last night. Then I flipped it over and ran it again. Then I fired off 1 Remington STS primer to foul the bore. Then I loaded the SF MZ. Man are these things tight!!! My first shot was right in the kill zone but not dead center. I decided I was going to swab the bore clean and allow the barrel to cool after each shot even though I was using BH209. I did this because that will be the condition of the bore when I hunt and I want to get the ML accurate under those conditions. I would swab the bore with a patch soaked in solvent until it was clean. Then I would run a patch with RemOil on it and then a dry patch twice. Then fire off 1 primer to foul the bore. I fired a few more times like this and pretty much all the shots were a little off to the right and a little high. Still in the kill zone though. I decided to make a small adjustment to the scope. It brought my shots closer to dead center and I was satisfied with the results. This was at 100 yards.

Then I decided to tryto figure out this Nikon ProStaff 3-9X40 BDC scope at 200 yards. For my first shot I used the first circle below the cross-hairs and the impact was pretty low. About two feet. For my second shot I tried the second circle below the cross-hairs and that put me right on the money. So I called it quits for the day.

So in conclusion... I'm glad I scrubbed all the WonderLube out of my barrel and I will no longer use it... I got my Genesis zeroed in at 100 yards with the rifle in the condition it will be in when I go hunting... And I also knowwhat circle to use on my BDC scope if I need to make a 200 yard shot. I am extremely satisfied with my Genesis and with BH209. And I think I will be hunting with Barnes Spit-Fire MZ's from now on.
Good job, great bullet selection. And where ya gonna shoot for the 150, the first circle down?
Chap
Old 01-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I have never shot one of those Barnes 285 gr Spitfire bullets. I looked them up and I really like the looks of them. That looks like a real deer or elk killing machine. Sounds like you have a real good load and a rifle there as well. 200 yards is a long way. Nice to know you can shoot that far.
Yeah, 200 yards with a scope is childs play. I practice shooting a man sized target from 500 yards with iron sights on the rifle range every year.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

Good job, great bullet selection. And where ya gonna shoot for the 150, the first circle down?
Chap
Thanks! I figure the first dot would be good for 150 yards. I'll have to play with it a little more to make sure.