Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BRASSO ON BRASS

Old 01-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default BRASSO ON BRASS

i am anal on getting my brass as shiny as i can.

i tried a lot of things to get those SWIRLS out of my brass.

i found out BRASSO was causing a lot of those swirls.

i found something that really works to get them out .

i use MIBRO HIGH GLOSS POLISHING COMPOUND.

i got it at LOWES in the sanding disk dept with tools.

it has RED CAP.

they have4 kinds, from high gloss up to coarse,stay with high gloss.

i bought a buffing 6 inch wheel and put it on my grinder.

took parts off and buffed them with the high gloss on wheel pad.i used the FIRM PAD.

came out great.took all swirls out.

after that your brass always gets tarnished again after awhile.

DONT USE BRASSO ON IT, IT WILL PUT SWIRLS RIGHT BACK IN IT AGAIN.

take a soft rag and wipe some MIBRO on it and lightly rub your brass,it will shine like new or better.

this stuff will last you a lifetime, its in a solid tube and not expensive,i think around 4 dollars.

i also use it inside my bore with a tight patchand in all my centerfield rifle bores to shine them up .

stay away from BRASSO, it will put swirls in brass.

www.mibro.com
Old 01-24-2009, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: BRASSO ON BRASS

If you want real shine have your parts gold plated. I spent some time in a Marine Guard Detachment,and had all my dress blue brass plated.Takes all the work out of it.

Charlie
Old 01-24-2009, 06:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I use Brasso, and I do have swirls in my brass I also use a product called Never Dull. It also works real well for putting a shine on the brass parts of the rifles.. I never heard of that stuff you're talking about and have no idea where there is a Lowes so its good to know other stuff is out there. I will just stick with the brasso.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use brasso and have been impressed so far. Then again, I haven't used anything else so I have nothing to compare it to. I will take note and see if there are any swril marks... I don't recall any though....
Old 01-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I use Brasso, and I do have swirls in my brass I also use a product called Never Dull. It also works real well for putting a shine on the brass parts of the rifles.. I never heard of that stuff you're talking about and have no idea where there is a Lowes so its good to know other stuff is out there. I will just stick with the brasso.
you can take BRASSO TO GET IT CLEAN FIRST, IF YOU WANT BUT RUB LIGHTLY WITH THAT STUFF.it will scratch

i think any high gloss buffing sticks will work on rag or buffing wheel.hardware store should have buffing sticks but make sure its HIGH GLOSS ONES,

You have to use buffing wheel on your table grinder first with the MIBRO ,then after that just take a little 2inch by 2 inch rags and rug a little on and buff brass.

TALCUM powder will get any scratchs out that is left by the high gloss mibro polish.i just wet a little cloth patch with TALCUM POWDER,THEN I RUBBED IT ON BRASS, OH MY, I THINK THAT EVEN MADE BRASS BRIGHTER, LIKE A MIRROR

IF YOU USE BRASSO AGAIN, IT WILL SWIRL IT AGAIN.

nothing i tried worked as good as that stuff to get those annoying swirls out of brass.

I USE IT INSIDE THE BORE TOO ON TIGHT PATCH.

you should see heads turn at gun shop when i walked by with that shiny brass.

www.mibro.com
Old 01-24-2009, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TNHagies

I use brasso and have been impressed so far. Then again, I haven't used anything else so I have nothing to compare it to. I will take note and see if there are any swril marks... I don't recall any though....
put a light on your brass and tilt your gun a little, those swirls will stick out.

i had some deep swirls too.
you could feel them with your finger nail just a little.

i took table grinder with the new 6 inch buffing wheel,make sure you get big wheel for your grinder, like if your grinder is 8 inch try to get one as close to that, some of pads are 4 inch and you will be too deep and its hard to get brass into corners of grinder inside.

that buffing took out those DEEP scratchs, I WAS HAPPY AS H.

www.mibro.com its under product information, scroll to tools,then box on right will appear showing at bottom,cleaning and polishing has good info too like using talcum powder to remove the MIBRO.

my no. is #6 and is green color inside.