Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BORE QUESTION

Old 01-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default BORE QUESTION

i used a 30 cal shell with aluminum foil on top and dropped in bore.

i then took a pen light and shine down the bore.
its so bright inthere i can only see down the bore about 10 inchs or so.

am i doing this right or is that all you need to see in there if you are checking a bore on muzz.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BORE QUESTION

i think i just answered my own question

i took the aluminum foil off the shell and just used the brass with brasso cleaner on it and i can see farther.

that was TOO BRIGHT with foil on it.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I did the same thing.. took a brass shell and some Brasso, shined it up and put a little tape on the mouth of the shell to protect the bore. I drop that down and shine a light to the side and can normally see all the way down the bore.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

I bought one of the Traditions bore lights that works great. It is important to understand that it is an led so when dropping it into the bore the rifle should be slanted so it does not hit bottom too hard or you can damage the led. It is tinted green and that seems to help see any imperfections or fouling in the bore. If you get one and take it apart be very careful how you reassemble it as it is tricky.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I did the same thing.. took a brass shell and some Brasso, shined it up and put a little tape on the mouth of the shell to protect the bore. I drop that down and shine a light to the side and can normally see all the way down the bore.
that FOIL on top of brass shell was TOO BRIGHT,looked like a spotlight of silver shining back at me.

your idea of the plain brass shined up worked much better.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MLKeith

I bought one of the Traditions bore lights that works great. It is important to understand that it is an led so when dropping it into the bore the rifle should be slanted so it does not hit bottom too hard or you can damage the led. It is tinted green and that seems to help see any imperfections or fouling in the bore. If you get one and take it apart be very careful how you reassemble it as it is tricky.
this is why we went to .30 cal rifle shell and pocket pen light.

those things will break so easy on you,good info on how to help it not happen.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Dominant Buck

well I want to find a small flashlight that will fit down a .50 caliber bore. I have one that will do a .54 caliber but a .50 is just the same size, and I can not get the bulb end past it.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

well I want to find a small flashlight that will fit down a .50 caliber bore. I have one that will do a .54 caliber but a .50 is just the same size, and I can not get the bulb end past it.
hoppes has a bore light i think is a small tube on end for looking in rifle bores from chamber.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take the breechplug out and then remove the lampshade off a table lamp and hold the barrel up close to the lightbulb, and then look through it, you can see everything, it works for me.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Breechplug

I take the breechplug out and then remove the lampshade off a table lamp and hold the barrel up close to the lightbulb, and then look through it, you can see everything, it works for me.
we cant do that with our flintlocks, we have patenthook breech ,you cant remove it only 1 way in and out on flintlocks.

Quick Reply: BORE QUESTION

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.