Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

75 cal.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 75 cal.

Have any of you have a 75 cal. i seen the round balls for it in cabelas the
other day. wow,them things are big.I've never heard of one,but that ain't saying much.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 75 cal.

A English and Indian Brown Bess is a .75 caliber normally. Many of the old military flintlock muskets were extremely large bore. Common were .69 caliber. There reason was since the things were not accurate at long range, they wanted to inflict a large wound. Also the style of fighting they did in volly fire, they might shoot at you and hit two men down the line. And that big roundball would go through one person and chances are wound someone behind...
Old 01-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could imagine that they would ,they even made my shoulder hurt looking at them.Once again thanks for the info
Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

When I was in boyscouts way back when, we had a blackpowder day in which old guys came dressed up in original clothes and shot their guns off. One guy in particular I will never forget had such a gun in 75 cal in flintlock. He loaded her up and said "hold yer ears she's going to blow". Before he finished he pulled the trigger and my gosh you would have thought the gun blew up as loud as it was. The target was a downed tree that probably had an 80" diameter and he was shooting at the crossection. He hit that thing square in the middle and that tree literally exploded like dynamite. He asked if anyone wanted to go see the damage, well myself and 2 others out of 15 went to look. The hole was big enough to put your fist in and then some. Now granted I was young but what a hole. Someday I want to get one, or two or.. They would be fun with the deer but they need to be close and probably take a neck shot as the whole neck would be gone.