Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

guns

Old 01-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default guns

Hey guys, new to the forum, but not to hunting. Good to see all these people on here.
I just wanted to talk muzzleloaders. I have a Remington Genesis and love it.Anyone else out there shooting one or have any comments on it?

Also, I saw a post about Powerbelts on here and fully agree with the guys complaint about the bullet not passing through, the deer not bleeding right away, and the bullet fragmenting. I have had about 4 deer that I found, but only because I could tell by their body language that they were hit. There was not blood (even in snow twice) for atleast the first 30 yards. I think I might switch to Barnes.

Hope you all had a good season!
Old 01-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: guns

Welcome
Old 01-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to the forum. I also have a Remington Genesis and have been having excellent results with the rifle. My favorite load is a 300 grain .44 caliber .430 diameter Hornady XTP in a green crushed rib sabot with 100 grains of powder. I get excellent accuracy.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply, the Hornady is one I am considering on trying...I will take that advice for sure.
Also, I had my first issue with the torch cam this year...the pin that holds in shut froze in the rearward position so the cam didn't lock down tight. I popped the pin, took the spring out inside, cleaned up the rod inside, and broke it loose, then reinstalled and it was as good as new.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Dominant Buck

So far that has not happend to me. I did not know that pin even came out. So I might be asking you for advise down the road.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup I also have a Remington Genesis. I think a lot of us on here bought them when Cabela's had that awesome deal on them. I've shot mine at a target a few times however, it was Rifle season when I got mine so I just used my rifle and shotgun the rest of the season. I like mine a lot so far especially for the price and it seems to shoot nicely.

I'm shooting 295 Grain Powerbelt Hollow Points as that's what I shoot in my other muzzle loader.

I shot a nice 8 pointer this past year a few days into muzzle loading season with the 295 grain Powerbelts and 100 grains of Pyrodex pellets. The first day I went. I sat out there for maybe 45 minutes if that. Ate first then sat for 5 minutes or so and he came out. I knew the tree's he was at were about 130 yards away. My GPS said later 123 but it can be a few yards off so I'd say that's about right. I'd checked before with a range finder and the trees right behind him were 130. I shot high at the top of his back as my rifle is sighted in for 100 yards and I know how fast it drops. It hit him right where I wanted to. I saw him when the smoke cleared jump into the woods. I got down right then even though I should have waited. I got to the woods and there he was about 10 yards into them. He was right at the edge when I shot him. He was laying down flapping like he was trying to get up just looking at me but couldn't get up. Not knowing where I hit him I put the scope on him and shot him in the back. I had reloaded while walking across the field. He didn't move much after that. If I had of known where I had hit him I would not have shot him again but as nice as he was and not knowing where I had hit him I was taking the chance of him getting up. The bullets didn't ass through and I didn't see much blood except for where he was he was bleeding pretty badly however he didn't go far so I'm pretty happy with how it did. The 2nd one since it went in his back didn't come out either but tore up a lot. I was happy with how they did. It also made me like muzzle loading as it was my first deer I've shot and found and it was a nice one at that and with the muzzle loader.

I've had my muzzle loader for about a year and a half but only went hunting once with it the previous year. This year I did a few times. I really like it. Now I don't use it during rifle season but it is fun and lets me hunt 2 weeks earlier using it. I got my Genesis this year for Christmas so hope to be able to try it out this year.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anytime a animal is wounded and not expired yet when you find him, finish him off, it's better for you and especially the animal.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Breechplug

Anytime a animal is wounded and not expired yet when you find him, finish him off, it's better for you and especially the animal.
That's kind of how I feel. I didn't want to take the chance he was going to get up and like I said I didn't know how good of a shot it was as I was just guessing on how high to shoot. I also didn't want to see him lay there suffering. A few people told me I shouldn't have shot him again as I just wasted meat but I would much rather do that then have had him suffer for a long time or have gotten up and me never found him and have him suffering.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Anytime I am not sure an animal is down for the count, meat or no meat, they are getting another round or something to end their pain. I refuse to let one suffer when I can stop that. You did the right thing.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

congrads on your buck ..you did the right thing but next time if you are close to the animal go for a neck shot ..

Quick Reply: guns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.