Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Montana X-treme

Old 01-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Montana X-treme

ORIGINAL: Old/New

Did I read (on MM) that this bore conditioner can cause rust? Did I get that right?
The concern was (and not well written by me I might add) if just the bore conditioner was used could the barrel rust. According to Don's (of Western Powder) email, the Bore Conditioner is all you need to use to protect the barrel as it is a refined oil Shaun basically told Sabotloader that if you have any doubts, in addition to the bore conditioner to use some oil to protect the bore for storage.

I use Birchwood Casey Sheath as I did not have any of the Montana Gun Oil. The actual Bore Conditioner is a refined oil as I understand it (and correct me Sabotloader if I am wrong here) so it will not make your barrel rust. But you might see some stuff it pulls out of the barrel. Which is happening to me in all the old barrels I have been treating with the stuff. You let them sit and when you patch, you get a black smudge on the patch that was not there before. Don of Western Powder says he believes that is carbon the bore conditioner had drawn out of the metal pores and cracks and you are basically cleaning the rifle a little more each time you use the BC.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

My bottles are on the way. I can't wait to give it a try in all of my guns. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Dave and I am really thinking if you shoot real BP you are more than likely going to get that carbon - as you are shooting real charcoal and when it burns it produces carbon. And in fact burning any powder will produce some carbon... the heat and pressure created at the breech will drive some of that up into and behind the lands of the bore. A little at a time.

Just a thought I am thinking - if GotBuck jumps in maybe his barrel will react the same way.

I do have an old 54 Rene that I shot a lot of GOEX-3f from last summer - I am going to try treating that this afternoon. Right now it has been outside the test...
Old 01-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Dominant Buck

And see... that was all my Whites and Renegade shot prior to me testing different powders in them. I am sure that's where all the carbon came from. Yet what surprised me, before I applied that Bore Conditioner, had you asked me if the bore was "spotless" I would have bet the farm on it. Goes to show, what you can't see can still be there.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

OK..I'm gonna try some of this stuff. If it works on old real BP bores I would think it will be good for any bore.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your Welcome! Thank (sabotloader)-Mike, he turned me onto this stuff. Im sure we all will be hearing good things about the Montana Products. And everyone keep us infromed of you results. If this product works and does what they say, you better buy it now as suppyls are already low out there. Soon they'll change the name to (Montana X-Ring)
Old 01-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Cayuga or Sabotloader,

My bottles of MX "bore Conditioner" came in today. I swabbed the barrels out to clean out any other oils. Then the bore conditioner went it. I stored the guns with the barrel down to let any excess bore conditioner run out the barrel and not in the action. Is this right??? My next question is, on the bottle it states that you should "insure that you do not leave a heavy amount of oil in the barrel". What is the reason for this. I live by the school of thought that if a little is good then more must be better. I soaked the patches pretty good. Should I worry about having to much in the barrel? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

SHulion

I just looked at my bottle also... I read the statement to mean do not have a bunch of oil in the bore before shooting, which is in the sentence directly above that.

My practice at the moment is when I run a BC patch in a gun that i might use in the near future - I will run a lightly moistened patch of BC - it really does not take much. If I am putting a gun away for an extended period of time I will run a a more wet patch in the bore. Then I leave that gun set horizontally for a couple of hours. The Glycol ether in the product will evaporate very rapidly and the product will dry. But as my last step i will run a loose dry patch to pick up the excess.

It is important- to run a tight dry patch before shooting.

my take on the product....

Old 01-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Before you shoot, be sure and dry patch the excess oil out of the barrel. Also if you are going to shoot BlackHorn 209 pay attention to where the first shot hits in relation to the rest of the group. Especially if this was a problem in the past with other powders. And post your results. I'd appreciate the information.